500px is the leading online network for photographers. Our mission is to connect the worlds photographers & provide them with opportunities to discover inspiration, get exposure & rewarded for their work, & help them learn & grow their skills. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website & mobile apps to find & share the worlds most inspiring photography.
Please note that we are all currently working remotely, & plan to continue doing so until staff feel safe & comfortable returning to the office.
As a Data Analyst you will bring 500pxs understanding of our Community & Licensing business to the next level & help us move forward confidently with data-informed decisions. The Data Analyst is responsible for contributing to creation of KPIs & dashboards, conducting business impact analysis, evaluating product usage & trends, & using data to find business growth opportunities. The Data Analyst reports to the Director of Engineering & will collaborate with Senior Leadership to influence business decisions.
What you'll be doing:
- Interpret data to improve business decisions through information gathered from various sources & identifying patterns & trends
- Conduct complex queries on our data warehouse to help teams get the data they need (e.g., segments, lists, etc.)
- Build & maintain dashboards & reports that enable the Senior Leadership, Product, & Marketing teams to: drive business decision-making, drive performance & answer business questions in a measurable & actionable manner
- Communicate & distribute data insights, tailoring findings & recommendations to audiences across all levels of the organization
- Help your cross-functional team with data reports & data discovery by optimizing self-serve BI solutions & providing SQL support
- Develop data collection plans & ensure the integrity of data collected
- Perform exploratory data analysis to uncover patterns of user features & activities
- Analyze trends in image usage via image metadata, sales reports, categories & keywords
- Work with the engineering team to identify, implement & improve the data collection systems, & define standards for data quality
What the ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in statistics, computer science, math, physics, or a related quantitative field
- Minimum 2 years of experience specifically in statistical/data analysis & data mining, & optimization, developing KPIs & dashboards
- Knowledge of advanced data analysis topics such as: causal inferences, or correlated data analysis (e.g., regression techniques)
- Expert knowledge of SQL
- Working knowledge of Python libraries for data wrangling, visualization, mining & modelling (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, NLTK) or R packages for data wrangling, visualization & modelling (e.g., reshape2, dplyr, stringr, lubridate, ggplot2, car, forecast, randomforest, Caret, survival)
- 1-2 years professional experience of close collaboration with internal groups or teams
- Excellent analytical skills including cohort analysis, funnel analysis, & lifetime value analytics
- Experience in working with large data sets, & helping with debugging & solving performance issues
- Adaptable & open to change with strong collaboration & presentation skills
Bonus points for:
- Startup experience
- Experience with community-based platforms
- Experience with commercial licensing an asset
- Knowledge of third-party tools like Optimizely, Google Analytics, Amplitude, & Braze
- Knowledge of business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Quicksight, Sisense or any other BI tool
- Knowledge of data warehousing & ETL
- A love of photography (tell us what you shoot!)
- Being a member of the 500px community
- Experience with the photography industry
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible work hours
- Great health & dental benefits starting on day one
- Professional development opportunities
- Amazing coworkers from around the world (repping 20 countries & 19 languages)
- Generous time off policies for vacations, sick days, birthdays, religious observances, civil involvement, new babies or pets, emergencies, or even if you just need to recharge
- Life-friendly Zoom calls we love to see your pets & hear your kids jokes!
- SQL skills test: 30 min online test to assess knowledge of SQL queries & relational database concepts
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager
- Business/Technical challenge: we'll ask you to complete a short assignment, & then share it with us to review
- Team interviews: 2-3 hours on Zoom where you'll e-meet multiple members of our team
We believe diverse teams perform better, & we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.
500px welcomes & encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.