1stDibs is the worlds largest online luxury marketplace for rare & desirable objects. Since 2000, we have captured the magic of the Paris flea market & have become the go-to source for the world's leading interior designers & consumers to find antiques, furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion & fine art. As a two-sided e-commerce platform, we bring together buyers of unique, beautiful things with a preeminent worldwide network of trusted sellers in these categories, each of whom has been thoroughly vetted by our in-house experts. Our best-in-class platform allows shoppers to buy directly, negotiate a price or bid on items at auction & enables them to interact with sellers throughout all stages of the transaction.
We are looking to add a Fine Art Specialist to our expanding Art & Design Research team. As a Fine Art Specialist you will have the opportunity to leverage your knowledge of the art market & industry trends to support the expansion of our growing art category. If you are passionate about art & design, able to navigate delicate conversations with sellers, & balance needs to deliver business first outcomes - then this is an ideal role for you.
What youll do
- Consult on the supply strategy for 1stDibs rapidly growing art vertical
- Use market expertise to strategize new areas of potential lead sourcing & for fine art vertical.
- Review all potential sellers interested in joining 1stDibs using your industry expertise, knowledge of seller reputation, & market trends, as well as internally generated leads for Business Development to contact.
- Author & review seller guidelines to ensure marketplace quality standards are maintained
- Develop a deep understanding & familiarity of the art supply, including consistent & ongoing review of sellers to ensure high marketplace standards are met
- Provide buyer assistance on post-sale questions & concerns while reviewing pieces to mitigate risk on high value transactions
- Be an educational resource by presenting on topics related to your area of expertise
- Work with the Manager of team on strategic & risk-based approaches to reviews & inventory guidelines for the art category
- Advise & be a cross-functional partner on greater company initiatives, including but not limited to, product development, seller onboarding, marketing & merchandising campaigns, as well as providing insights & data for press requests
- Field & advise, as a public facing-presence, on questions from trade & VIP client sales team, seller community, & buyers, including by providing sourcing support to our internal sales teams for high potential clientele
- Research, develop, & present weekly, monthly, & as needed trends reporting for internal cross-functional groups, including but not limited to, weekly experts picks, monthly industry trends reports, insights to industry as needed for special projects, & others.
- Develop a network of external experts in the field to cover internal expertise gaps
Who you are
- You have a bachelors Degree in Art History or equivalent specialized studies/Masters Degree preferred.
- You have 3-5 years of professional experience working in the fine art sector
- You have in-depth knowledge of best practices for cataloging art as well as trends & current practices of the art industry as a whole, including a need to have your finger on the pulse of market happenings
1stDibs is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The 1stDibs mission, to enrich lives with the extraordinary, can only be achieved when diversity, equity & inclusion are embedded into our values, culture & the way we do business. Enabling access to & celebrating unique & diverse perspectives is at the very core of what we do. We are committed to attracting & retaining the best talent in the industry, who are reflective of the diversity of our communities, & fostering an environment where every individual feels they belong, are valued & heard. As a leading design marketplace, we leverage the power of our platform & brand to empower historically underrepresented individuals, & the businesses they own, across the art & design industries.