Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, & team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, & New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, & it starts right here at Gusto. Thats why were committed to building a collaborative & inclusive workplace, both physically & virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is seeking a Payroll Tax Compliance professional to play an integral part in all things payroll. As Gusto scales & expands, this team is frequently called upon to help research requirements, communicate upcoming changes to internal & external customers, assist with internal testing, resolve issues, review processes, & conduct training. We are looking for a new team member that is eager to learn about new payroll compliance rules, enjoys reading & deciphering complex legislation & regulations, translating compliance rules into simple systems & processes, & can coordinate between internal teams. Prior experience with payroll systems and/or payroll tax filing are strongly preferred. Individuals should have excellent communication skills to broadcast compliance changes to large audiences (verbally & in writing).
You'll have the opportunity to roll up your sleeves & play a vital role in the development & growth of the payroll infrastructure as Gusto continues to scale.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Heres what youll do day-to-day:
- Research new payroll tax compliance rules, & track upcoming changes & legislation
- Document requirements & communicate to internal teams promptly; ability to effectively lead meetings & drive for results
- Anticipate & quickly resolve open questions
- Establish metrics, prioritize new features & system enhancements using risk assessments, cost/benefit analysis, & monitor & report on our progress on metrics & goals.
- Identify ways to improve our systems, processes, documentation, training & communications
- Build relationships with federal, state and/or municipal tax authorities, other industry members & vendors
- Customer-service mindset, & support our customer care advocates & engineering teams with impeccable compliance research
Heres what we're looking for:
- 2+ years of relevant experience with payroll systems and/or payroll tax rules & regulations
- Must have a strong interest in payroll requirements at the federal, state, and/or local levels
- Experience offering guidance & opinions to internal teams and/or customers regarding the best course of action using data & your payroll expertise
- Ability to handle internal & external escalations (i.e. addressing delays, questions, & other concerns with tax authorities)
- Ability to research & translate compliance changes into process-driven documentation for operational & engineering teams
- Must have excellent communication skills & ability to provide status updates to engineering & customer-facing partners
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $70,000-$90,000 in Denver & most remote locations, & $88,000-$113,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience & expertise & may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life & so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values & our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state & local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.