Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you & your peers would love.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer that will be focused on the architecture of our next generation Platform-as-a-Service offerings. Youll be empowered to drive innovation & opportunities to improve the design, interface, & architecture of DigitalOceans products that enable a cohesive experience across our brand.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Working at the forefront of cloud & distributed computing technologies.
- Serve as the architect driving the technical strategy & direction for our large-scale cloud services, driving simplicity, high-reliability, ease of maintenance & operation.
- Own the primary responsibility for establishing a pragmatic long term technical direction for our software services ensuring alignment with our customers, business goals & internal teams.
- Lead a team of highly passionate technical leads to evolve our service architecture, oversee alignment of several products technical roadmaps.
- Lead by example through direct contribution, & provide direction in establishing development & operational practices.
- Serving as the technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Actively mentor individuals & the engineering community on advanced technical issues.
What Well Expect From You:
Architect level experience in the following domains:
- The ideal candidate is excited about the incredible opportunity that cloud computing represents, & is passionate about delivering high quality services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities can shift fast.
- Proven track record of leading & mentoring large software teams
- Experience with web & cloud native services is a must-have.
- Demonstrate excellent ability to influence, build consensus & increase productivity by driving technical alignment between multiple teams..
- Adept at Systems Thinking & is able to decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully & completely understand system interdependencies & limitations.
- Expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, & engineering best practices.
- Leverage knowledge of open-source, industry, prior art in architecture decisions.
- Balance technical leadership & savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology. Youll strive for simplicity & will demonstrate significant creativity.
- Masters degree or higher preferred
- 15+ years professional experience in web-scale system software development
- 5+ years developing & supporting serverless applications
- In depth experience in two or more of the following areas: Cloud Computing, Storage, Networking, Platform-as-a-Service, Infrastructure-as-a-Service, Software-as-a-Service.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels is a must.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about your Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!