Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Flight Software Team is responsible for creating & maintaining the guidance & control software for our fleet of Dove, Superdove & Skysat satellites. We also build tools, payload software, radio software & work on next generation initiatives! As a member of the FSW team, you will be working to develop & improve the software that runs our fleet of observation satellites. You will also be designing & owning system components on our next generation satellite technical roadmap. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch payload, electrical design & mission control teams!
Impact Youll Own:
- Design, develop, test & debug software for our existing & future fleet of satellites, including software for embedded microcontrollers & embedded Linux.
- Design, improve & promote procedures for safe, remote updates of satellite software.
- Collaborate in cross-functional teams to design new satellite systems, & improve existing satellite systems.
- Implement metrics to track & improve software quality & maturity.
- Build & maintain software tools to support satellite test & production.
What You Bring:
- Proven history of thinking through complex, interdisciplinary design problems as well as debugging to identify & correct root causes.
- 5+ years of programming experience in C. Ideally, development for microcontrollers and/or low-level Linux applications.
- Experience with Python programming & python package deployment.
- Strong technical & organizational communication skills, especially in advisory or mentorship roles
- Ability to tackle broad, loosely-defined assignments with minimal supervision in an iterative manner; includes requirement development, research, & prototyping
- Comfortable with common open-source development tools (GCC, make) in a Linux environment.
- Proponent of continuous integration & automated testing.
- Familiar with build systems for Linux & embedded targets. Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with previous aerospace projects or cubesats.
- Experience in the mobile, networking, medical, robotics, IoT, or similar embedded device industries.
- Experience with some of our key technical areas, such as cameras or other image sensors, high-speed radio communication, FPGA development, or guidance, navigation & control.
- Knowledge of industry standards for software quality practices.
- Experience building embedded OS distributions.
- Contribution to open source projects, especially small-device or similar.
- Cool side projects, great life stories, robot ownership.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.