Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Counsel, Associate Director to join our Legal team. This role will be based in our New York City headquarters.
Oscar is a venture-backed insurance company focused on one mission to be a health insurance company centered around the individual, engaging members & guiding them to the right care. Oscar provides better tools & resources to make it easier & more seamless for members to access high-value care & to navigate the complex health care system. Join a team of 1600 of the most talented, experienced, & mission-driven individuals from the halls of technology, health care, politics, design, & data in service of the Oscar mission.
About the role:
As health plan Counsel, you will be a key member of the Legal team responsible for providing leadership & guidance on regulation applicable to Oscars business. We currently operate in the individual market (both on-and off-exchange) in fifteen states, the small group market in four states, & the Medicare Advantage market. Weve also joined with Cigna to launch an exciting small group product. We anticipate further geographic expansion & new product offerings.You should be comfortable in an ever changing environment as we continue to grow!
You will report into the Associate General Counsel.
- Partner with various teams to provide strategic & legal guidance on a range of regulatory matters, including state & federal Exchange requirements, HIPAA/state privacy law; the FTC Act & similar state consumer protection & advertising laws; ERISA; & MHPAEA. Experience with pharmaceutical and/or out-of-network rules is a plus!
- Provide thought leadership on regulatory & industry developments, including the proactive identification & assessment of regulatory risks & the ongoing monitoring & tracking of relevant regulatory updates.
- Analyze & distill complex legal issues into easily understandable content so operations teams & key stakeholders across Oscar can move corporate goals & objectives forward.
- Provide legal advice on new & existing policies & procedures to ensure Oscars compliance with applicable state & federal law.
- Partner & work collaboratively with federal & state regulators & government agencies.
- Work with minimal supervision on multiple, simultaneous & diverse assignments while adhering to deadlines & managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Support cross-training, problem-solving, & knowledge development across Oscar.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- 4+ years of professional, legal experience
- Youre licensed to practice law in New York as a licensed attorney or as licensed in-house counsel, or are able to obtain such licensure shortly after hire
- Experience with the health insurance regulatory landscape
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience translating regulatory requirements into business initiatives
- Experience working with small group health insurance plans / providers
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.