Hi, were Oscar. Were a fully licensed health insurer. Our goal is to make healthcare simple, transparent, & human.
Were changing how health insurance works by creating a healthcare experience thats intuitive & puts people, not cost or workflows, first. Were using a consumer-focused & tech-driven approach to do so. This positions us uniquely in this space & creates one of the biggest opportunities in healthcare.
We brought together leaders from top technology, service & healthcare companies to deliver on our promise & to seize this opportunity. We all work side by side in a collaborative, energetic, & creative environment. The result: better people, better ideas, & better healthcare.
As an Actuary II, you will join our Actuarial team & work directly with other actuaries, data scientists, insurance & tech professionals, in supporting our Medicare Advantage (MA) line of business. You will lead pieces of the actuarial work that enables our innovative model to succeed as we grow. We understand & value technology, so this can become a powerful part of your tool kit.
You will report into the Actuarial Director for Medicare Advantage.
- Own the actuarial viewpoint for Oscar as we rapidly grow in existing & new MA markets.
- Directs & provide leadership in MA actuarial functions, with an initial focus on the valuation & analytics function
- Develop & execute upon a strategic roadmap to build out a suite of analytical processes to support financial reporting, revenue analytics & experience monitoring
- Build & maintain risk score models, in collaboration with Data & Value Capture, to support accurate revenue forecasting, business operations & bids
- Present results of key analyses to senior management & enable an effective level of visibility into financial results to support analysis, reporting, & business outcomes
- Support growth of the team to accomplish the goals of the organization, which includes the recruiting, training & coaching of team members & ensuring that the teams work complies with guidance from the applicable Actuarial Standards of Practice
- Promote & shape Oscar actuarial best practices with respect to automation & documentation
- Accountable for developing good relationships, rapport, & lines of communication with both internal & external stakeholders
- You're a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries
- You have 10+ years of relevant healthcare actuarial experience, preferably in Medicare Advantage
- You have a comprehensive knowledge of actuarial principles, including but not limited to pricing, valuation, modeling, & product development, particularly as they pertain to Medicare Advantage
- You have demonstrated the ability to navigate ambiguity to drive to outcomes, work with large datasets & distill analyses into actionable business insights
- You have a collaborative attitude to lead actuarial functions in highly cross-functional organizations
- Experience in SQL or Python is a plus
- You have a preference for working in a dynamic startup environment where each day offers new challenges
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.