Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking a Data Engineer to be a key member of the Observability organizations Operational Intelligence Engineering team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining one of the first teams of engineers in our new Bangalore office, with an opportunity to help define our technical & team culture in India. You will also help us build solutions that deliver actionable intelligence from a number of mission-critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, can mentor junior engineers & operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a strong data engineer who lives the Twilio Magic & has a demonstrated track record of working with data, specifically; sourcing & integrating data from multiple disparate backend data sources, developing reporting infrastructures & applying a deep analytics background to assess business performance & deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency & increase productivity. You should also have:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in a role requiring application of analytic skills to integrate data into operational planning/business planning
- Advanced working knowledge of large data manipulation, data mining using SQL and data warehousing on highly available SQL & non-relational (NoSQL & distributed database management systems)
- Fluent in writing & optimizing SQL with demonstrated strength in writing complex, high-optimized queries across large data sets.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language, Python, R, or similar.
- Knowledge & expertise with data warehousing concepts.
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a big plus
- Extensive knowledge of BI & Visualization platforms i.e. Tableau & AWS Quicksight
- Advanced skills in Excel as well as any data visualization tools like Tableau or similar BI tools (familiarity with Tableau & Quicksight preferred)
- Advanced ability to draw insights from data & clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the stakeholders & senior management as required
- Demonstrated ability to manage & prioritize workload & roadmaps
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, & communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Design, develop, & maintain data pipelines, warehouses, & reporting systems to support Twilios product engineering operational data: incidents, deployments, performance, utilization, defects, change failure rate, test data, infrastructure costs.
- Build the data products that technical users will depend on for business intelligence & ad-hoc access.
- Build scalable solutions & self-serve platforms that will provide data & KPIs to inform business decision making.
- Identify, develop, manage, & execute analyses to uncover areas of opportunity & present written business recommendations that will help improve the controllership & help achieve the goals of the team.
- Develop & maintain documentation relating to all assigned systems & projects
- Develop high-trust relationships & processes with partner teams & stakeholders to identify & address insight requirements
- Participate in workstreams planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing & delivery of BI solutions.
- Be able to adapt to prioritizing multiple issues in a high-pressure environment.
- Be able to understand complex architectures & be comfortable working with multiple teams.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, & video by virtualizing the worlds telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications.
The Operational Intelligence Engineering team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Our mission is to provide actionable insights from a vast number of different systems, arming engineering teams with the knowledge they need to continuously improve their quality, security, & velocity. To do this we need to continue to develop & evolve our products & services & ensure they are able to scale; driving Twilio to new heights of scale.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands & more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.