Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly seeks Manager - Copy to join our Content Team, GAs in-house creative studio that comprises copy, visual design, & content operations. This position reports to the Content Director & is based in our NYC headquarters.
As Manager - Copy, youll be responsible for managing our team of copywriters, ensuring integrity across all branded communications, global B2B/B2C marketing & sales collateral, educational products, executive comms, & more. A deft writer & eagle-eyed editor, the ideal candidate can educate, inspire, & motivate a variety of audiences across assets ranging from ads & emails to websites & white papers & nurture talent to do the same.
As a leadership member of the Content team, you will work closely with visual design leadership to ensure a holistic union between copy & visuals across digital, print, & environmental assets. They will also partner with content operations to facilitate project management & streamline workflows across simultaneous initiatives.
As an authority on GA voice & narrative, this role will serve as a guidepost for colleagues at all levels of the company & an advocate for the narrative & technical expertise of the Copy team. They must be an agile collaborator & communicator who skillfully balances stakeholder & business needs with brand integrity to ensure that voice, tone, & messaging is consistent across channels & products.
The Nitty Gritty:
- Possess a full editorial toolkit: Youre a pro at both content & copy edits & can write concise, powerful copy for any audience, in any context, within any amount of space.
- Revel in the long- & short-forms of the craft: You effectively write & edit for channels including (but not limited to): email, digital, & print ads, social media, white papers, one-sheets, webpages, video scripts, case studies, blog posts, infographics, & decks (bonus points if you have experience developing educational curricula).
- Navigate & celebrate the interplay between design & copy, show versus tell. Youve worked closely with visual, UX, & multimedia designers across print & digital channels & understand their needs, in their vocabulary.
- Are a natural leader who can confidently manage projects, people, & expectations with clarity, empathy, & strategic prioritization.
- Excel at fostering talent regardless of the stage of their career, bringing your direct reports to new heights in both craft & cross-team collaboration.
- Love being both a player and a coach, understanding when/how to jump from being part of a working team to leading one.
- Thrive in a busy environment, juggling projects, stakeholders, narratives, & audiences with ease.
- Shape & refine GAs unique brand voice across our consumer, B2B, & educational communications.
- Manage & mentor members of the copy team, who specialize in different product lines & GA narratives.
- Coordinate workload plans for all in-bound requests, working with team members to align on project roadmaps & key milestones.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop original & innovative content ideas that drive the brand & the business forward.
- Develop a roadmap to produce & distribute copy guidelines, best practices, & in-house trainings for the wider GA team to use.
- Ensure written communications represent the critical brand elements that define General Assembly.
- 8+ years editing & writing experience across various disciplines & formats.
- 2+ years management experience.
- A strong business focus & the ability to leverage creative assets to amplify & support business goals.
- Highly organized with a project management mindset, able to establish schedules & roadmaps while meeting deadlines without fail.
- Knowledge of: Google Suite, SEO, CMS (Drupal, WordPress, Medium, proprietary), AP Style, Jira (or other similar project management software), Confluence, Slack, Trello. Adobe Creative Suite experience is a plus.
- Passion for & knowledge of technology & education is a plus.