Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
The Procurement Specialist will be the key support as we further build out & mature our newly-formed function. You will partner with global stakeholders from across the company, working together to add value for the company. The right candidate will be a strategic, solutions-oriented thinker who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is hands-on, has great communication skills, & who has first-hand experience negotiating agreements. This is an exciting opportunity to make a meaningful impact as the company further expands globally, part of which is implementing a best-in-class procurement system - all whilst supporting the companys growing needs & jumping in to support other areas of the Finance function. The Procurement Specialist will report directly to the Head of Procurement & Accounts Payable & will have the opportunity to participate in the establishment of scalable processes, ensure compliance with policies, & optimize our soon-to-go-live procurement system. The Procurement Specialist will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high-growth startup & will have significant opportunities for their own development & growth.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the company Procurement system, ensuring optimization & implementation of planned enhancements
- Negotiate vendor agreements for both new goods & services, & renewals to maximize value for the company (including pricing, commercial terms, T&Cs, etc)
- Partner with internal stakeholders to understand business needs & provide procurement support to help meet goals in a cost-effective & timely manner
- Be a trusted business partner & work closely with various stakeholders within Finance, Legal, Internal IT, Compliance, Security, & others across the company to ensure appropriate vendor due diligence
- Develop & maintain existing & new vendor relationships
- Ensure compliance with all internal Procurement & Reimbursement policies
- Prepare & reconcile vendor invoices & bills; review for approval each cycle & reconcile to sub-ledgers & bank statements, as necessary
- Work with vendors & internal departments to ensure seamless onboarding; gather & store contracts, & resolve any payment issues
- Review, process, & ensure proper coding of all company expenses in accordance with US GAAP
- Assist with ad hoc requests & projects for the Finance department
- Collaborate in designing & expanding the Companys financial systems
- Provide other operational support to the Accounting or greater Finance team, as needed
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes & organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand how the Finance team works with other functions. You will develop relationships & an understanding of the team structure at Cockroach Labs & gain an understanding of how each team operates, in particular as they relate to the Procurement & Accounts Payable functions. You will gain a strong understanding of how to operate the current Procurement & AP software & any other tools needed for your role.
In your first 60 days, you will utilize your understanding of processes & systems to be a key contributor to vendor bill & expense workflow.
After 90 days, you will have built key relationships & an understanding of the process & systems so that you can contribute to vendor contract negotiations & RFPs.
- 3+ years of experience in a Procurement, Finance, or Accounting role
- Demonstrated working knowledge in procurement best practices, vendor selection, contract negotiations, & RFPs
- Ability to learn & operate scalable processes
- Problem-solving, record-keeping, & critical thinking skills
- Ability to communicate & collaborate effectively across all functions & levels, with a customer service mindset & passion for building strong internal & external relationships
- Ability to meet hard deadlines & work under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate excellent judgment & discretion in dealing with confidential & highly sensitive financials or other information
- Experience working collaboratively on a team while exhibiting a strong sense of ownership
- Strong proficiency in G-Suite & Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Experience using NetSuite, Jira, employee reimbursement software, & procurement software (Coupa ideally) preferred
The position is within our newly launched Procurement & Accounts Payable team led by Kevin Stacey.
Kevin has always been passionate about technology & is dedicated to building best-in-class Procurement & Accounts Payable teams that empower & amplify effective businesses & products rather than constrain them. At Cockroach Labs, Kevin is dedicated to building a function that achieves these goals. Kevin has experience building teams in high-growth tech environments & has a strong understanding of both the profession & the industry. Kevin believes strongly in the unique value that a Procurement & Accounts Payable team can bring & is committed to building a best-in-class global function here at Cockroach Labs. Kevin enjoys mentoring members of his team & is proud of the continued development & incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies, together with the hands-on growth & experience he can offer to each on his team. In his spare time, Kevin is an avid sports fan, both playing & as a spectator, & enjoys spending time with his family - both in New York City, where he resides, but also across the globe when the opportunity for travel arises.
- 100% health insurance option (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning & Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.