Want to help people get the financial protection they need & feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup thats making shopping for financial protection products faster, friendlier & more transparent for online consumers. Since 2014, weve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in fintech & helped more than 4 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing & looking for people with grit, great attitudes & creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
About the role...
As the first legal hire at Policygenius, you will directly report to the CEO & play a critical role in building the internal legal function & driving strategic objectives at the company. This position will involve handling day-to-day legal matters for the company, & problem-solving & execution across a mix of short & long-term priority business initiatives. Youll need to toggle between legal & business matters, & be able to connect the dots. You should be able to drive an initiative with limited starting information, take ownership over results, & see ideas through to implementation.
- Manage, with outside counsel as necessary, legal affairs for the company, including: regulatory compliance, intellectual property, data privacy & security & licensing
- Draft, review, & negotiate a wide range of business & legal contracts (including independent contractor agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, service agreements & product terms & conditions)
- Advise internal stakeholders on legal issues, compliance & business risks; recommend approaches that balance business risk with strategic priorities
- Manage relationships with outside counsel & lead cross-functional legal workstreams with internal departments
- Support the CEO & board with strategic & financing transactions, including: deal structuring, due diligence, review & negotiation of deal agreements, & execution
- Advise & assist with matters of corporate governance, organizational structure, & entity management (including routine corporate filings)
- Support the CEO in corporate governance & board management duties (e.g., preparation of board resolutions, consents & minutes of board meetings)
- Be the right hand to the CEO in the companys annual strategic planning process, leading as necessary the research, materials preparation & stakeholder meetings to create & implement high-impact corporate strategy
- Lead cross-functional efforts to identify & evaluate the strategic impact of new opportunities in Product, Marketing, Operations, Finance, & People
- Own special projects end-to-end for the CEO. This could include: discovery work on new product & service offerings; evaluating potential acquisition opportunities; researching & briefing leadership on the competitive landscape & industry trends; & leading the implementation of high-priority company initiatives
- Strong academic credentials, including a JD & membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar required)
- Minimum of 2 years of top-tier law firm, clerking and/or in-house experience with a focus on corporate matters
- Minimum of 2 years of top-tier consulting firm experience (making decks & building models is old hat to you)
- Experience in contract drafting, review & negotiations
- Exceptional problem-solving skills & the ability to balance the strategic with the tactical
- A sense of urgency & the ability to achieve impact in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to stay calm under pressure, work independently, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, & effectively manage deliverables with time-sensitive deadlines
- A low-ego, team-player mindset & the ability to work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Exceptional written & verbal communication skills & an ability to clearly & simply explain complex ideas
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship & coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join (Shhh Its a secret!)