Apply to be an AmeriCorps Playworks Coach today to change the lives of kids in your community tomorrow!
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Do you possess a desire to support kids to create healthy school communities? Join our team & bring your passion for play to a school near you.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to get kids physically active & transform childrens social & emotional health. We believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid & are changing school climates by leveraging the power of safe, fun, & healthy play at school every day.
Playworks Coaches are AmeriCorps members. As an AmeriCorps member you will join nearly 300,000 other members & over one million alumni nationally who have committed their time & talents to strengthen communities. Partnership organizations, like Playworks, engage with AmeriCorps members to improve the communities they serve.
How youll make an impact as an AmeriCorps Member serving at Playworks
You will improve the school climate at a local elementary school by ensuring that every kid gets to play every day. You will engage kids & educators every school day, making a positive impact on the playground, in the classroom & in the school community. We will train you & support you on this journey so that you can:
- Create opportunities for safe & inclusive play, on the playground & throughout the school, by being an effective facilitator & a caring, consistent adult to ensure that every kid has the opportunity to play every day.
- Implement a youth leadership program by providing student leadership opportunities at recess & implementing curriculum for a cohort of students before or after school.
- Lead individual classes to build youth leadership skills, promote cooperation, & introduce new games that kids can play on the playground, including the rules & boundaries.
- Enlist & coach students in interscholastic/developmental sports leagues that might include basketball, volleyball, or soccer.
- Work with the school to create opportunities to engage families & the wider school community.
- Recruit & coordinate volunteers who will assist with your programming to strengthen school climate.
- Develop a strong school culture by influencing, motivating, & building rapport with faculty, administrators, parents, & volunteers.
- Participate in national days of service & some weekend service projects in the greater community.
- 18 years of age or older
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Commitment to fulfilling your entire term of service with the ability to serve your scheduled hours consistently
- An interest in volunteering, learning, & growing while giving back to the community
Nice to have
- Experience working with or teaching groups of children with the ability to engage & inspire youth
- Be an organized self-starter exhibiting good judgment with the flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities & demands
- Previous commitment to national & community service as demonstrated through volunteerism or other service work
- Experience interacting with diverse communities & the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Ongoing access to reliable transportation to & from your assigned school
Benefits of being an AmeriCorps member at Playworks:
- A modest living stipend paid out semi-monthly, with amounts varying by region
- Medical health insurance at no cost
- Access to Dental & Vision insurance at a low cost
- Education award that can be used for eligible student loans, tuition, & other education related expenses after successful completion of your service year. More information here: www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/alumni/segal-americorps-education-award
- Child care expense reimbursement if you qualify. Learn more: www.americorpschildcare.com
- Enrollment as an AmeriCorps service member. For more information, visit www.americorps.gov
- Leadership skill development & valuable experience for a career in education & youth development
- Professional development opportunities
- Youll make a lasting difference in childrens lives & your community
Playworks is a hands-on, creative, playful & fun-loving place to be, all while contributing to the success of our nations youth. If you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, take on a rewarding set of challenges, & if you've got the skills, experience, passion, & team spirit, apply!
For more information about AmeriCorps service with Playworks, check out www.playworks.org/coach
Service Environment: This position operates in a K-12 school environment both indoors, outdoors, & virtually. The position interacts with children on playgrounds & in classrooms on a daily basis.
Typical physical & mental demands:
This position requires sufficient physical ability & mobility to navigate on a school site in various weather conditions; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach & twist and, dependent on assignment, to occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Requires a range of hearing, vision, & speech that enables the member to hear & locate the source of a sound in a noisy environment, to see effectively to monitor student activities & to exchange information.
Playworks provides reasonable accommodations to applicants, members, & employees as required by law. Applicants with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation at any point in the interview, service, or enrollment process.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe & healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing & managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community & healthy play are the foundation of our organization & are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting & retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.