Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Design Team
From the beginning, Design has played a central role in Thumbtacks product development process. Whether its creating experiences for our Pros & Customers or crafting the design system that empowers Thumbtack teams to create a high quality product, Design is involved at every step.
We're a tight-knit team of product designers, experience researchers, & product writers working closely with engineers & product managers to research, explore, & iterate on innovative & engaging user experiences. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, & presentations to inspire & influence the direction of the product & company as a whole.
About the Role
Design Systems is responsible for creating the tools, components, documentation, & educational materials to empower designers & engineers to build a world-class set of experiences. The Design Systems team is highly collaborative, & you will work closely with product designers, engineers, product managers, & brand designers to evolve & scale our design system. You'll be responsible for everything from the strategy of the team to the design & execution of the design system day-to-day. This includes teaching & advocating for best practices, gathering user feedback, supporting designers & developers using the system, collaborating with engineering partners to spearhead new initiatives, designing components in the system, & overseeing component implementation.
Were looking for someone motivated by creating systems to solve complex problems. On this team, you'll be responsible for decisions that influence every product team at Thumbtack.
- Create flexible, hardworking components & patterns that push the quality of the product & can be built to scale across several teams.
- Evolve the Thumbtack design system across iOS, Android, & web by approaching problems holistically & thinking in scalable systems.
- Plan strategically as a partner with engineering, product, & brand to identify & prioritize design systems opportunities & define the future of Design Systems at Thumbtack.
- Write concise, easy-to-understand docs to communicate team plans & decisions.
- Create unified, cohesive design guidelines for Thumbtackss mobile & web products.
- Socialize the design system across our internal organization & create processes that empower other designers to contribute to the design system.
- Apply a pragmatic approach to systems design by understanding & incorporating product priorities, & complex technical & business requirements.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience working in Product Design & 1+ year of experience working on Design Systems
- A strong portfolio of product design & design systems work, including designs that showcase both an ability to think in scalable systems, & a solid understanding of key graphic design principles (hierarchy/layout, color, & typography).
- Experience creating new visual directions, including color theory & typography, & ensuring theyre carried out consistently
- Able to think in scalable systems
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to communicate & present complex ideas clearly in both verbal & in written formats
- Unparalleled collaboration skills & extensive experience partnering with engineers to create beautiful products in an agile environment
- Experience setting team goals (OKR, GSD, etc.) & collaborating with your team to deliver on them each quarter.
- Motion design & related software.
- Brand design experience
- Experience working in Figma
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.