Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Job:
The Rent the Runway Fashion Team is looking for a results-oriented Buyer who will be responsible for managing a specific product division as well as conceptualizing & incubating new merchandise categories in the future. Our Fashion team is filled with passionate go-getters who love dreaming big, implementing new ideas, delivering an incredible experience to our customers & creating a fun, dynamic culture. We are seeking a high-energy, self-starter to join our team.
What Youll Do:
- Manage & grow brand relationships within the RTR Contemporary matrix
- Continuously monitor industry trends, evaluate competition, attend major markets
- Own & execute the merchandise strategy for your brand matrix, including product selection & key item development
- Manage styles to the OTB & Attribute plan, ensuring that the assortment is properly balanced in terms of trend, silhouette, fabric, color, price point, etc., & that we are taking the correct depth positions
- Collaborate on style outs with the Buying & Planning teams, presenting to DMM, CMO, & VP of Planning
- Review & analyze your business weekly, monthly, seasonally, developing appropriate initiatives & problem solving
- Negotiating & evolving contracts with new & existing vendors to seek win-win partnerships & evolve the way we partner together
- Work cross-functionally with in the company on special projects to set us up for scale
- Support & develop an Assistant Buyer, working on career growth opportunities & providing constant constructive feedback
- Bachelors degree & minimum of 4+ years in retail buying
- Skilled at vendor negotiation & relationship building with the ability to influence vendors/cross-functional partners
- Strong analytical & conceptual skills
- Highly effective written & verbal communication skills
- Compelling presentation skills with ability to lead
- Creative thinker & innovative problem solver
- Flexible, with the ability to work with limited resources & willingness to be involved in many aspects of a fast growing company
- Demonstrate ability to identify key items & trends in the marketplace & execute a merchandising strategy to drive profitability
- Collaborative personality; ability to use feedback from others in a constructive way
- High energy self-starter who takes ownership & initiative
- High level of professionalism & a positive, forward-thinking, team oriented attitude
- Proven Leadership & project management are a must
- Existing Contemporary RTW & Denim relationships are a plus
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Office centric work - our corporate employees & technical leaders have the option to work remotely on Fridays, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $75,000 - $100,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held.