As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
The role of Senior Visuals Designer would report to the Art Director & Visuals Lead, Digital, & support the visual expression of New York & its six component networks/brands. This will be done primarily through the design, creation and/or assignment of illustration, basic information graphics, photo treatments, collages, & other visuals that will run as part of the editorial report. Secondarily, the person in this role will contribute support to the promotion of editorial material through social media.
What you'll do:
Under the guidance of the Senior Art Director & Visuals Lead, Digital, (and with design direction from other senior staff) the Senior Visuals Designer will have the following responsibilities:
- Commission & create original illustration & graphics in collaboration with edit
- Maintain digital brand visual style guides
- Create replicable templates & guidelines for photo collages & treatments & other visual assets, including social story promotion elements
- Develop mood boards & visual treatment concepts for new projects or editorial refreshes
- Contribute to ongoing creation of a comprehensive & diverse portfolio of artists suited to the style & visual voice of New York & its component brand networks
- Become proficient in using Clay, our content management system, to best support the visual expression of individual stories, & provide design & visual guidance to editors & producers as they build complex or unusual stories
What you'll bring:
- Passionate about New York magazine & digital media
- Experienced editorial designer/ illustrator
- Expert photoshop skills creating digital photo collages with supplied imagery
- Ability to generate, execute & iterate on ideas quickly
- Ability to multitask & prioritize in deadline driven & fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with many stakeholders & editors across several editorial teams
- Comfortable both giving & receiving feedback, & an excellent communicator
- Experience commissioning illustrations
- Organized, detail oriented & proactive
- Experience working with digital asset management systems & content management systems is a plus
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.