BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
The Tasty team builds the tools & services that bring Tasty content to life. Our engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us develop features for our tasty.co users & applications that creators use to power Tasty content . This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media & who wants to work on projects with a global impact.
Youll report to a Senior Engineering Manager in Minneapolis, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time & want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. Youll work with engineering, product, design, & data science colleagues globally across time zones. While many BuzzFeeders typically go into offices, BuzzFeed employees are encouraged to WFH remotely until at least mid 2021 because of the pandemic.
- Develop user-facing applications & features on Tasty.co & in our Tasty editor (our CMS).
- Work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, & others to understand & shape work before it becomes code & after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed & get an understanding of large-scale media companies architecture & operations
- You have 2 or more years of experience in software engineering
- You understand that the web is for everyone & build inclusive, accessible systems
- You are a passionate & product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to & leading technical projects & working with both other engineers & cross-disciple teammates at all levels
- You value testing, instrumenting & documenting your work
- You adapt quickly to change & love to ship & iterate, building on new user research, insights & data
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
About the Products
The Tasty team manages our site (tasty.co), our proprietary CMS for publishing recipes, the applications/apis that support our website & our mobile apps. Our platform encourages experimentation & expansion. Its important to us that our tools be reliable & bring some joy to the creation process.
We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds & languages so if you don't already know the languages that we use, we know that youll learn.
- Tasty frontend includes React with NextJS, React with Redux for our CMS, Google AMP framework & SASS.
- Most of our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node, depending on the context of the service.
- Monitoring & instrumentation is essential for our content systems. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, & proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, & run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.