Pivotals Story - VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile & lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, & infrastructure with organizations core expertise & values. Our cloud-native platform & suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the worlds most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds & with greater business agility. We optimize for change & teach next-generation developers to create & build new solutions, & are committed to open source & open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development & innovation, & our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each & every project, & are guided by a purposeful missionto transform how the world builds software.
Youre comfortable working side by side with software developers. product managers, designers, & clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients & their users. Youre agile & retrospective, & not afraid to identify what were doing wrong so we can fix it, & what we're doing right so we can improve on it. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team & the happiness of our customers.
Pivotal Labs is Pivotal's consulting team, & a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the worlds most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management & collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide. Our approach is informed by over 20 years of experience & continuous improvement, & blends agile/XP, lean startup & user-centered design.
You will mentor & guide the professional development of assigned Software Engineers, while also working closely with clients on a daily basis. Management of staff includes, but is not limited to coaching & feedback, performance evaluation, & compensation review. Work performed with clients includes scoping new work, participating in new project inception meetings, executing iteratively & transparently on product development efforts, & enabling client personnel to adopt practices central to Pivotals agile methodology.
This position is highly collaborative, with multiple simultaneous tasks to manage & follow through on in parallel with industry-leading agile delivery of client projects & must seamlessly shift between managing Pivots to performing as an individual contributor as required. The incumbent must be able to respond quickly & professionally to unanticipated events while effectively managing existing workload. The incumbent is expected to rely upon their own knowledge & experience to make decisions that affect their assigned teams & projects, with some guidance & support from their manager (either the Office Director or an Associate Director). Meetings include regular one-on-ones with team members & regularly scheduled meetings with other Managers, Directors, HR Business Partners, & the regional VP of Engineering.
This is a full-time managerial position, onsite in our Pivotal Labs Toronto location. Some travel may be required occasionally.
- Mentor & be responsible for the professional development of direct reports.
- Demonstrate hands-on leadership on projects while empowering both client & Pivotal teammates to become leaders themselves.
- Balance individual contributor job duties with managerial responsibilities.
- Facilitate coaching in the areas of development, product management, & product design.
- Hold regular one-on-ones with reports for updates, feedback, coaching, & mentoring.
- Maintain contact with project leaders to discover & address issues as early as possible.
- Monitor & audit team members accurate time entry.
- Run scoping sessions with potential clients.
- Assist with project inceptions, eventually assuming the role of inception facilitator.
- Assist in managing the office operations, including staffing & project problems, with guidance from the Associate Director(s), Office Director, HR Business Partners and/or regional Pivotal Labs VP.
Required Skills / Experience
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, including various client-facing roles.
- 3+ years previous management experience required
- Consulting background required
- Experience with agile techniques, extreme programming, user-centered design, product management, & a track record of helping others improve in these practices
- BA/BS in relevant field of study
- Understand the differences between Scrum & Extreme Programming
- Demonstrated knowledge of web and/or mobile software development; ability to advise clients on feature epics, fine-grained user story breakdown & prioritization
- Ability to analyze a set of high-level requirements & determine incremental ways to make demonstrable, iterative progress
- Strong communication skills with both technical & non-technical individuals; the ability to listen, articulate ideas & advocate best practice solutions in both one-on-one & group settings, in both verbal & written form
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
Desired Skills / Experience
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to prioritize & manage workload to meet critical project deadlines
- Ability to see things through to successful completion, delegating where appropriate
- Strong time, project & people management skills with ability to work under pressure & meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt by picking up new programming languages/techniques/team dynamics
Total Rewards Package
Pay Range: 93,500 - 126,500 CAD
In addition to salary, our total rewards package also includes equity in the form of RSUs, comprehensive medical & disability benefits, employer match on RRSP, fitness reimbursement programs & more!
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY GPVTLCanada In (Pivotal) is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every individual in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees & communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing & promoting employees without discrimination. Pivotal believes equal opportunity & inclusion are essential to motivate, empower & recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIESPivotal is committed to working with & providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 & the Ontario Human Rights Code, Pivotal will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email AskHR@pivotail.io or call 416-907-9470 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).