Away is seeking a Data Engineer to join our team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate would be interested in building scalable data pipelines, supporting our ERP implementation & other critical projects. You will report into the Director of Data Engineering & be based in our SoHo headquarters.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, & fellow engineers to build & plan scalable data pipelines supporting our business requirements.
- Design & implement scalable data pipelines from our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs, 3rd party services & our data warehouse.
- Implement systems to catch bugs & monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate & available for key stakeholders. & business processes that depend on it.
- Push & refine our technology, data structures, & creative practices.
Who you are:
- 2-5 year experience building data pipelines using Python.
- 2-5 years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- SQL knowledge is required.
- Linux/Unix experience preferred.
- Experience working with batch processing/ real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience working with messaging frameworks such as Kafka or Kinesis.
- Experience with Airflow is nice to have.
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure.
- Knowledge in data modeling, data access, & data storage techniques for big data platforms.
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred.
- You have a strong sense of ownership which drives you to find ways to do things better, faster, & cheaper.
- You look to find new & innovative ways to solve complex problems through rigorous experimentation.
- You are open & transparent & work in tight collaboration with the rest of Away.
- Open to tasks beyond software development, for example, there will be occasional support for our processes on a rotational basis
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIn's "Top Startups," & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startup. We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, were expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness & lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US & abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? Were hiring!