Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia & D.C, & offer in-office, hybrid, & remote working based on role & location.
About the Role:
Betterments mission is to empower people to do whats best for their money so that they can live better. As a Sr. Product Manager on our Custody team, youll be responsible for executing against & helping to shape the Custody product strategy roadmap as it relates to fulfilling our broker-dealers multiple mandates:
- Maximize Efficiency - How can we make our software better, or build automation to prevent mission-critical teams from doing repetitive, manual workflows.
- Minimize Risk - The larger we grow within a strict regulatory environment, the more our operational mistakes cost both us, & most importantly our customers.
- Enable Growth - While executing the above, we must also enable our business lines to ship new revenue generating products that delight our customers.
You are a talented product practitioner that has mastered the ability to navigate multiple concurrent projects from a high level & able to also quickly dive into the weeds with engineers as needed to address technical, project-specific roadblocks. You relish rolling up your sleeves, working shoulder-to-shoulder with both highly technical & non-technical teams across the organization throughout the entire product development lifecycle. You are highly adept in prioritizing effectively & making challenging trade offs across a range of tasks & initiatives.
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC office location, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
- Understand the financial pain points that Americans in our target market experience on a regular basis, & serve as their advocate when making back-end decisions that impact their front-end experience
- Assist in the creation & execution of the Custody product strategy as it relates to the back-end record keeping & money movement systems, core to the Custody domain
- Partner with front-end product managers to help shape the product requirements with respect to the Custody build & actively participate throughout its development lifecycle
- Proactively identify opportunities to build internal tooling that increases the efficiency of our Custody engineering & Operations teams to unlock bandwidth for iteration & innovation
- Attend standups, planning meetings, & retros to support the Custody engineering team where needed
- Work closely with Technical Program Managers to unblock or drive all phases of the software development cycle
- Develop the success metrics for your area of the product & the tracking plan to support it; understand & communicate how the work that youre prioritizing is helping drive those metrics
What Were Looking For:
- Product management experience at a financial services or financial technology company with a focus on back-end systems & applications preferred
- Knowledge in custody, money movements, & broader broker-dealer functions preferred
- Strong analytical abilities with a passion for data inspired decision making
- Self-starter & demonstrated success at communicating, prioritizing, & balancing needs cross-functionally
- Obsessive attention to detail & strong organization skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to build strong relationships across functions within an organization
- Creative problem solving skills that balance the regulatory realities & innovation
- Ability to think abstractly about back-end builds & how that will translate into a customer experience
- Be able to construct narratives that help the organization see the long term vision of the platform
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self & make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure youre set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- Youll have flexible paid time off, & a team that cares about you, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.