Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building the infrastructure & platforms that will improve the resiliency, scaling, & development speed for cloud services.
We are looking for a platform software engineer with an operations background for building operationally sustainable solutions for internal DO data & network platforms. Our teams mission statement is to provide tools & expertise to solve common operational problems, accelerating & simplifying product development. As part of the team, youll be working with a variety of data-related technologies, including datastores like MySQL, Kafka, & Redis. You will also work with networking & web operations technologies such as load balancers & API gateways.
This is an opportunity to build the services & systems that will accelerate the development of DigitalOceans cloud features. Services will provide highly-available, operationally elegant solutions that serve as a foundation for a growing product base & serving a global audience. This is a high impact role & youll be working with a large variety of product engineering teams across the company.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Working closely with product engineering & infrastructure teams to drive adoption of services throughout the company
- Instrument & monitor services developed to ensure operational performance
- Create tooling & automation to reduce operational burdens & honor service level objectives (SLOs)
- Establishing best practices for development, deployment, & operations
- Driving adoption of managed platforms throughout the company
What Well Expect From You:
- Interaction with developers & teams to resolve production issues
- Distinguished track record developing & automating platform solutions that service the needs of other engineering teams.
- Adept in Python, Bash, or other scripting languages. Experience working within a Go codebase.
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools such as Concourse. Experience with configuration management tooling & processes such as Chef & Ansible.
- Firm grasp of high-availability concepts & resilient engineering patterns.
- Experience operating the stack of highly-transactional web operations across multiple sites.
- Capability of thinking critically about failure models, disaster recovery, & business continuity.
- Experience with platform technologies for data & compute including services such as Kafka & Redis & also Kubernetes
- You have a passion for not repeating yourself (DRY) by way of automation where it makes sense
What Well Not Expect From You:
- Crunching mundane support tickets day over day - be the automator!
- Following a large top-down product roadmap - platform engineers wear product hats as needed & help define what platform gets built!
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!