**We are New York City based, but this role can be remote anywhere in the United States.
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As a Product Designer on our Web Platform team, youll work on evolving Codecademys Design System, Gamut, where youll be proactively building out our component library & documenting design patterns. You will be defining processes & proposing new methods to help elevate design at Codecademy. Youll be partnering closely with designers & engineers from all our product squads to align on current & upcoming design system needs, track status & communicate updates to stakeholders.
Your work will empower millions of people worldwide to learn how to code & create something. Together, we can redesign education & create the best online learning experience, leading to tangible skills that make access to real world employment opportunities a reality!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design & evolve Codecademys Design System, its components & design patterns
- Collaborate closely with Designers & Engineers to gather requirements, align on problems & goals & ensure quality
- Document design guidelines & actively share knowledge on how to design & build with our design system
- Communicate regular updates & planning with stakeholders to help drive adoption & consistent usage of our design system
- Advocate for the Learner in every part of the product you touch & be their voice within the product development process
- Research & institute best practices to mature our systems practice in both design & engineering
- Pursue a north star of seamless collaboration between design & engineering
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience with designing Design Systems within a product organization
- Understanding of best practices & processes around evolving & maintaining design systems
- A human-centered design process that produces thoughtful & engaging product design work
- Excellent verbal communication skills & ability to soundly discuss design decisions
- Demonstrated history of shipping complex, solutions-oriented product design work
- Strong graphic design foundations mindful of typography, color usage, visual hierarchy, etc.
- Maintain a Visual design point of view while being able to work within a structured design system
- Experience performing & analyzing UX research
- Proficiency with Figma & prototyping tools
- A passion to continually learn & help others in their educational pursuits
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience designing with semantic HTML & CSS (experience with React is a big plus)
- Experience using Figma & Storybook in your workflow
- Comfortable translating motion design/animation into front end implementation
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.