Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York & Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging & interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
DigitalOceans Cloud Storage team is seeking a highly motivated & experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers & engineering culture, most specifically leading the team developing our software defined Storage products. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating & monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineers performance, providing coaching, & counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams & process, who will be accountable for the engineering teams performance & quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, & retention of the team as we continue to grow & scale. This role reports into the Director of our Cloud Storage Engineering pillar & can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC & Cambridge, MA.
What Youll Be Working On:
- Recruiting, managing, & maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, & success of complex technical projects related to storage
- Collaborating with technical leads & contributing to the overall architecture, design, & development of core projects related to storage
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile-lite shop) & related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building & developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance & quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product & feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, & documentation
- Collaborating with cross functional groups to deliver & maintain a world class Cloud Storage platform.
- Supporting the professional goals & development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication & facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers & the engineering leads
- Providing coaching & counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring & reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals & KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning & executing relevant training for the engineering team
What Well Expect From You:
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, & mentoring software engineers
- Domain expertise in Storage stack & having shipped products at scale with a strong customer focus. Working knowledge of Ceph or OpenStack is desired but now required.
- Proven track record of managing & delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC, delivering products to market on schedule & ensuring feedback loops from customers work their way into development
- Experience introducing & growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, & product groups
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining & building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail & follow-up
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge, & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.