SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK NETWORK ENGINEERING)
This position entails creating software that is used to design, develop, launch & operate a low latency, high capacity broadband network. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the missions & code highly reliable software which turns the mission into reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, including development, testing, & support.
The success of SpaceXs satellite internet business depends on the quality of the software that you & your team produce. That includes reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, security & user experience.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical, you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas & code & make the system work.
- Reliability of the production network with strong emphasis on scalable automation & telemetry systems
- Design & implement highly available, fault-tolerant network automation & monitoring systems that operates for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at scale
- Design & implement data collection & ingestion pipeline to empower network reliability & operation tools (network telemetry, failure detection, alert generation, mitigation services, network visualization)
- Strong operational & network reliability role focused on building & maintaining the world's most robust, performant & automated broadband network
- Participate in architecture, design, & code reviews
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts & quantify technical constraints
- Linux systems engineering & administration
- Understanding of service provider networks (BGP, MPLS, ISIS, DDoS)
- Ability to run projects independently
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline
- 4+ years of experience in software & reliability engineering
- 4+ years experience with Linux systems engineering & administration
- Development experience in C++, Python or Go
- Experience with modern networking protocols, their application & traffic types: i.e. TCP/IPv4/IPv6, gaming, voice, video, broadcast, streaming
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged & deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems & large-scale consumer internet services
- Strong understanding of Docker & Kubernetes, or similar technologies
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization & unit testing
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills & engineering fundamentals
- Strong networking knowledge of TCP/IP
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal
- Willingness to work extended hours & weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.