Blavity is a venture-funded technology & new media company, which was founded in 2014 with the simple idea of enabling Millennials of Color to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms & lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of black millennials through original content, video & unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for black media, reaching 30 million millennial per month through its growing brand portfolio; Blavity, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, & Shadow & Act. We are 5 brands with one vision & limitless opportunity!
Assembled of passionate, high-energy, & focused rock-stars, our Blavity Team creates & executes with our values at the forefront of mind:
- Love of Community
- Transparency & Communication
- Collective Responsibility
- Fail Fast
Blavity is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, & advance our strategic direction. We are headquartered in Downtown LA, & have a satellite work space in Atlanta. Join us!
What you will do
Blavitys growing Editorial team is seeking a Shadow & Act Intern! In this internship, you can expect to gain:
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on experience in digital media, with the option to write editorial & social pieces
- Team collaboration within the premier digital destination for Black entertainment news, covering film, TV, webseries & Broadway
- Opportunities to connect with people who can give you a better understanding of the industry & help you accomplish real goals you can add to your resume
80% of your professional development well be focused on department & team-focused projects related to entertainment news, pop culture, & trending topics. Youll spend the other 20% of your professional development in networking opportunities & final presentations of your learnings.
This is an unpaid summer internship in our Los Angeles office. There is a minimum time commitment of 15 hrs per week, ideally committing 15-20 hrs per week during June - August. Please note, this internship is available for college credit.
- Research ideas for listicles, articles & content for our entertainment video series
- Attend weekly editorial meetings & contribute ideas
- Attend industry events with the managing editor, as schedules allow, to network & obtain real-world learning experiences.
Years of Experience: Previous internship experience in an applicable or related field preferred
Other experience: Preference for 1-2 years experience doing research & writing
Education: Currently enrolled in a four-year college, preferably a rising Junior or Senior
Technologies: Preferred experienced with Wordpress
- Excellent written communication skills, including good spelling & grammar
- Excellent research skills
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- A love of & feel for language
Location: LA Office
Work Schedule: Availability to join the Blavity team between June August for a minimum of 15 hours a week, preferably 10am-3pm on Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays (We are flexible - you will have the opportunity to work with the Manager to develop a weekly schedule).
Preferred Interests: Love for Black TV, film & community
Blavity is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, free of discrimination & harassment, & building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, & skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit & business need.