Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency & public blockchains for payments, commerce & financial applications worldwide. Circle's platform has supported over 100 million transactions worth tens of billions of dollars, with nearly 10 million retail customers, over a thousand businesses, while storing & securing more than $5 billion in digital currency assets. Circle is also the creator of USD Coin (USDC), the fastest growing, regulated, dollar, which is quickly approaching 10 billion in circulation. Today, Circle's transactional services, business accounts, & platform APIs are giving rise to a new generation of financial services & commerce applications that hold the promise of raising global economic prosperity for all through programmable internet commerce.
What youll be part of:
With the mission To raise global economic prosperity through programmable internet commerce, Circle was founded on the belief that blockchains & digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient & integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people & businesses everywhere can more freely connect & transact with each other with new technologies for digital money. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people & companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse & which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees & families, our local communities & our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, & High Integrity.
What youll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the General Counsel, you will play an immediate & direct role in regulatory, compliance, & transactional work, supporting the launch of new products, services & customer segments as we grow in new markets.
What you'll work on:
- Advise on a wide range of state & federal regulatory issues, enabling the company to create products & expand domestically as well as internationally in a way that meets our obligations & the needs of our customers
- Counsel on novel & complex commercial arrangements & provide clear advice on legal & transactional issues & risks, including reviewing & negotiating a variety of business agreements
- Monitor new legal & regulatory developments, carrying out research on various multijurisdictional legal issues & considering their impact on Circle
- Collaborate with the Compliance Team on the application of regulatory analysis & ongoing management of the Compliance Program
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multi Stakeholder - you have dedication & commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees & families & local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener & to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission & our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity & you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open & honest communication, & you hold yourself to very high moral & ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty & intolerance.
What you'll bring to Circle:
8-12 years of legal experience with a working knowledge of:
- relevant federal securities laws & their applicability to the cryptocurrency industry, including the Investment Company Act, Securities Act, Exchange Act, FINRA, CFTC/NFA, & private placement requirements; as well as
- federal & state banking laws & regulations, including state & federal licensing & the Bank Holding Company Act, bank partnerships, merchant banking activities, & fintech investments.
Experience with international applicability of securities & banking laws & regulations also desired, as Circle expands into new markets.
You are passionate about financial technology, are a team player with a sense of humour, & enjoy learning but also mentoring.
You are comfortable working in an evolving & growing environment that is prone to changes, & managing multiple projects simultaneously.
You apply sound, practical business judgment to your legal recommendations, & are creative at solving problems while balancing important legal risks for the business.
You can work autonomously & independently with minimal guidance but are also comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team.
You have a JD (or foreign equivalent degree) & active membership in at least one US State Bar. Prior in-house experience for at least 5 years a must, including private & public traded companies.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.