The Monolithic API is a mission-critical application that sits at the crossroads of every request that comes through our system. On any given day a few dozen teams work out of this codebase. The Monolith team ensures the smooth running of this application by tackling matters of end-to-end scalability, security, reliability, observability, & deployability.
This team is often tasked with determining root cause & solving complex low-level system issues related to the APIs performance such as CPU spikes, build & deploy failures & latencies, scaling issues, security issues, & more.
Being part of this team will lend you the opportunity to make an impact not just within your team but the engineering organization as a whole. You must be experienced & comfortable interfacing with members of other teams to gain clarity, triage issues, & drive them through cross-functional initiatives.
As the organization scales, well also look to split the monolith into a more distributed system, & being part of this team will lend you the opportunity to participate in the execution of this strategic project.
- Lead delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with & maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Triage problems across the Monolith to help address production issues.
- Build & improve various components of the Monolithic API such as queuing systems, build & deployment pipelines, observability monitors, error handling & logging libraries, api frameworks & more
- Focus on the whole teams productivity & strive to increase the impact of the teams work product
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor backend software engineers of diverse backgrounds
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices
- 3+ years of experience developing high-performance web application systems
- 5+ years of experience with one or more object-oriented programming language like Python, Kotlin, Java etc
- Have a solid understanding of clean software design principles
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done
- Experience in a high-paced, high-growth environment working with deadlines & milestones
- A self-directed individual with excellent time management skills
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success
- Experience with multiple database engines (Postgres, MySql)
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD (ex: Jenkins) tools, & containerizing applications (ex: Kubernetes)
- Work with development teams to understand test automation gaps & implement coverage
- Have experience using monitoring & metrics to support KPIs & performance of APIs
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Hands on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience implementing event driven architectures
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming & Test Driven Development
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.