As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vulture is looking for a Senior Music Editor so hopelessly obsessed with the culture / business of music that it keeps them up at night. Were looking for someone eager to shape our music teams identity going forward and, in that role, also attempt to reshape the way that music media presently talks about music.
The music industry as weve known it has fundamentally & rapidly changed. Artists offer music either a la carte, buffet-style, or starve us, & listeners nibble or overindulge, half digest, then regurgitate parts back up in the form of endless discourse & devout stanship. Modern music is an economy now more than it is just an artform, & its never felt more like the Wild West. But if youve found this radical climate shift invigorating & inspiring, this job is for you.
Ideally, this should be someone who wants to have some serious fun. Put another way: In a world of plain ol 6.0s, were looking for that wild card 6.5. (But also, most importantly, someone who laughed at that last sentence instead of cringed.)
- Balance setting a long-lead vision & short-term agenda for the music department by identifying the following: important upcoming releases, intersecting trends, big & small stories, emerging & legacy artists, & major new & ongoing narratives in ways that differentiate us from other sites.
- Place smart bets on thoughtful reporting that will define our coverage going forward as one that gets ahead of & finds new doors into stories, rather than relying on reactive coverage
- Be mindful of rotating low brow & high brow coverage, considering celebrity culture angles as much as stories around craft & business (i.e. be silly as much as serious!)
- Conceptualize, assign, & edit articles including narrative/reported features, profiles, essays, & the various other formats that commonly appear on Vulture
- Carve out a strategy for both news-pegged & evergreen rankings & essays that makes sense for us
- Stay on top of both creative & industry developments, acknowledging & understanding that music has became an extremely online industry that leans heavier on news than other areas of entertainment
- Produce occasional packages of stories around a single topic or theme
- Develop & manage new & existing recurring columns, franchises, & newsletters
- Think about how to tell stories in a variety of formats & mediums including social platforms, live events, video, & podcasts
- Coordinate with the editors of New York magazines Culture Pages on profiles & features, & with the co-hosts & producers of Vultures music podcast Switched on Pop on coverage
- 5+ years experience editing feature-length stories
- A deep knowledge of global & regional music markets, cultures, & genres, including non-English-language
- Comfort & ability to work within the 24/7 news cycle
- Adept at editing on both a story & a line level
- Eagerness to manage a team
- Familiarity with reporting and/or editing reporters
- Contacts in the music business, including but not limited to talent management & personal representation, record labels, publishing, streaming services, & terrestrial radio
- A stable of freelance writers, including those who are multilingual
- Understanding of the different social media environments & how to target stories to them
- Already a regular Vulture reader
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.