Senior Software Engineer, Semantic Scholar
Who You Are:
You are a hands-on, developer that thrives in a fast-paced environment, is self-directed, a team player, knows how to get things done while still delivering flexible & maintainable code, & is not afraid to take on big challenges & dabble with both UI & algorithmic code. If you have a passion for driving quality, improving customer experience & designing maintainable & robust systems, we'd love to talk to you!
Your Next Challenge:
Semantic Scholars online engineering team is looking for an experienced engineer to help us build tools & features to help with our marketing efforts of Semantic Scholar. With the tools & user facing features you build, Semantic Scholar will help more researchers to do better, faster research. The emphasis is on the front end experience & search services, but you will also have the opportunity to develop & deploy machine learning models, & work with research scientists to create new research tools.
World class communication, engineering, & leadership skills are essential in this role. As a technical leader, you will partner in scaling a consumer product, identifying & alleviating engineering bottlenecks, driving feature development on key initiatives, & establishing best practices. You should be comfortable working closely in a team, building technical buy-in, & balancing effective design reviews with quick delivery.
- Engage in the entire software development lifecycle; from ideation & design to implementation & testing to deployment & operational support.
- Scale our systems in a cost effective & sustainable manner & be a driving force behind continuous improvements in reliability & automation.
- Generate impact & team velocity through efforts in but not limited to: software design & feature development, platform & framework development (e.g. machine learning experimentation capabilities), capacity planning, & deployment tooling & infrastructure.
- Help set & maintain best practices in how we measure, monitor, & respond to system availability, latency, & general application health.
- Mentor less-senior engineers on the team in both technical & non-technical skills.
What Youll Need:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field where software development is a key component, or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience building high quality software & services
- Experience in algorithm design, data structures, complexity & risk analysis, & software architecture.
- Experience in one or more of the following (or similar) languages:
- Experience designing, scaling & troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience creating & developing front-end web applications, & working with design to make wireframes & mock-ups for real, interactive features.
- Experience creating, evaluating, scaling & operating production machine learning models.
- Experience with AWS (or similar) cloud development.
- Heightened sense of ownership for the performance & stability of services that provide value to millions of users.
- Ability to think systematically about improving the process of developing & supporting software & the skills to translate these concerns into outcomes for our users & team.
- Growth mindset: a desire to stretch the definition of the role & find additional ways to provide impact in a small team.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen & headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, & our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, & promote people from all genders, ethnicities, & all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, & people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences & perspectives can bring to an organization, & we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected & considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance we believe our team members are happiest & most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, & vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation & sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative & transparent we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, & even quicker to share & jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle & our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, & we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.