Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Special Assistant to the Chairman to join our team. The person in this role will provide daily logistical support, stakeholder management, thought partnership, & counsel to our founder & Chairman, Jeremy Heimans.
This role is ideal for a proactive, smart, & driven individual, who is looking to work with a high-functioning social impact leader & gain valuable insight into how to build & manage relationships with industry leaders, thought leaders, & globally recognized names. This is a fast-paced role, which requires a high EQ & attention to detail, along with strong stakeholder management skills & stellar writing skills.
This role is a balancing act: leading all aspects of scheduling & calendar management, meeting preparation, logistics related to travel & speaking engagements, & coordinating events & providing any required support to the Chairman in addition to proactively engaging with senior stakeholders, vetting opportunities & inbound requests, handling sensitive information & relationships, drafting communications for the Chairman, keeping priorities at the top of mind, taking on special projects, & proactively solving problems at all levels. It is a great opportunity for a candidate looking to build a career in the social impact space or pursue chief of staff type roles & offers significant opportunities for growth & strategic thinking. Our ideal candidate is extremely detail-oriented & organized, thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, & doesnt view any task, no matter how small, as unimportant.
This full time staff position is based out of Purposes New York City office. Our staff currently works both remotely & in-office two-to-three days a week. This role is offered at the Associate Manager level, with a salary range of $78,000-$88,000. This role is open to candidates based in & around NYC. Interested candidates should include a cover letter with their application, highlighting their relevant experience & explaining their interest in the role. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply.
Support Chairman - Provide the Chairman with administrative (20%) & personal (20%) support. Including, but not limited to:
- Manage the Chairman's calendar (business & personal), including complex scheduling involving various timezones, collaborating with internal team members on a daily basis, ensuring alignment on key priorities
- Manage Chairmans email inbox: bring priority correspondence to his attention, respond on his behalf as necessary, prepare draft correspondence etc
- Manage private dinner logistics & other events involving key senior stakeholders: manage RSVP list, obtain quotes from chefs & venues, & coordinate follow up with guests etc.
- Complete monthly expense reports for business-related expenses, arrange travel & correspond with external contacts & internal team members alike to schedule & coordinate meetings & calls
- Support & vet requests for Chairman to speak at conferences, give workshops, & provide logistical support as needed
Stakeholder Management - Provide the chairman with daily support in maintaining key external relationships related to Purpose, his writing & speaking activities associated with New Power, his bestselling book with Henry Timms; & a new project to network & bring together influential LGBT+ people from around the world to unleash new ideas, strategies & resources in support of queer & trans people.
- Strategically identify opportunities to engage Chairmans extensive personal & professional networks in support of the mission of Purpose & his other activities
- Correspond proactively with external contacts to schedule & coordinate meetings & calls
- Make sure the Chairman is prepared for all engagements by preparing briefings, talking points & information related to external contacts.
- Maintain regular daily communication with the Chairman, providing advice where needed on potential opportunities to collaborate with external stakeholders & promote shared priorities.
- Support with special projects, as needed, including assisting with research tasks
- 2-5 years previous experience as a project coordinator, executive assistant, political aide and/or personal assistant to a senior staff member, or equivalent relevant experience
- A keen eye for detail & meticulous organization skills
- Exceptional written & verbal communication skills, with experience communicating effectively & on behalf of an executive
- Has high integrity, a high bar for quality, & a hands-on attitude
- Proactive & able to anticipate needs
- Works across multiple priorities can manage timelines, understands the relationship between priorities & resources, & can identify relevant connections across activities & office functions
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive information
- Comfortable working with all levels of clients, visitors & employees, including senior executives
- Enjoys administrative tasks & is comfortable taking care of personal tasks as they relate to his role as Chairman.
- Experience with Google Suite, including Gmail & Google Calendar
- Proficient with Mac systems & software, including Word, Excel, & PowerPoint
- Flexibility on work hours
- Eligible to work
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge & are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, & skills. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome the unique contributions that individuals bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity & expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veterans status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation & beliefs.