ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is seeking a Director to lead the strategy & operations of audio & podcasts at theSkimm. In this role, youll be responsible for the development & execution of theSkimms brand & voice in current & future audio formats across a variety of topic verticals. Youll partner closely with leadership from the content department & cross-departmentally with teams inclusive of marketing, sales, & product on the development & positioning of your teams programs. Youll manage a small group of creative producers & editors, providing guidance & direction, while being ready to roll-up your sleeves to get things done. This role reports to the VP of Content Studios.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead strategy & operations for the Skimms current audio suite (Skimm This, Skimm'd from The Couch, & audio Notes)
- Lead creative development & production strategy for new audio products
- Work closely with the sales & marketing teams on positioning of current & future audio products
- Manage & develop team of producers & editors providing guidance on best-in-class audio practices, editorial & technical
- Oversee production operationincluding budgets, staffing & creative
- Manage editorial partnerships with key distributors
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years experience in audio storytelling with 3+ years leading production on a successful podcast or radio program
- Expert manager & player/coach, who can inspire a growing team
- Excellent journalistic judgment with previous experience in news programming (podcast, radio, or television)
- Expert technical ability in recording, editing, assembling, mixing for audio publication
- Ability to communicate on an executive level while managing the details of multiple daily productions
- Proven experience executing high-quality product in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to anticipate & respond quickly to change
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.