View All Jobs
Are you an Accountant who loves technology? If yes, then you might just be the Accounting Systems & Corporate Administrator that were looking for to join our Atlanta team!
As one of the fastest-growing tech companies HQd in NYC & the leader in revolutionizing how Americans move from one home to another, the Updater team gets pretty busy. Our user base is growing like crazy, & we need a few extra hands on deck to keep our users happy!
Were looking for an extremely organized, self-motivated, & driven individual who genuinely loves working as part of a team. Our ideal candidate will have excellent analytical & communication skills & have the ability to manage a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment. If you place emphasis on accuracy & love thinking outside of the box, then this is the role for you.
A typical day will include assisting with the management of daily operations and strategic objectives of the companys accounting team. You will work closely with the Controller, CFO & Senior Accounting & Finance staff, as well as many other personnel at Updater to support the execution of all accounting software & systems initiatives. You will manage corporate administration which includes insurance, licensing, state & local non-income tax, real estate & other related items. This position will at times be required to interface with operational managers & executives & will report directly to the Controller.
About the Role
- Participate in monthly financial close processes ensuring accurate & timely results
- Assist in developing & documenting accounting policies & procedures in accordance with GAAP
- Assist in the implementation of various new systems & the integration of multiple entities into one accounting system
- Administer all accounting systems (existing & new) as to rules, users, etc.
- Configure, troubleshoot, update, test, & enhance the software tools necessary to effectively support the operations of the company, specifically the accounting team
- Review & collaborate on user documentation, policies, procedures & training materials related to systems processes
- Own & manage corporate administration including insurance, licensing, state & local non-income tax, real estate & related items
- Maintain & review excise, property, sales, & income tax records & the preparation of all or specifically assigned tax returns & related reports
- Assist with property tax audits, including gathering information, responding to audit requests & conducting tax research
- Stay informed about current practices & guidelines, including lease accounting guidance, master lease governance, & commencement date determination, to administer commercial lease documents appropriately
- Cross-train & backfill for other accounting team members
- Ad hoc reporting or projects as assigned by the CFO or Controller
- Empathy: you strive to put yourself in another persons shoes & start to think about the problem needing to be solved from their perspective
- Humility: you have an opinion, but arent afraid to be proven wrong, & are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: you communicate complex ideas in simple, easy-to-understand language & build trust with stakeholders
- Comfort with Ambiguity: youre used to being asked open-ended questions & whittling them down to questions that can be answered by hard data
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- 2+ years of practical experience as a staff accountant
- Demonstrated proficiency with technology, accounting software & systems
- Knowledge of Sage Intacct or similar ERP
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel required
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Customer-facing capabilities are important
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholder expectations & priorities
- High level of initiative, attention to detail, & ability to work with minimum supervision
- Detail-oriented with strong critical thinking & proactive problem-solving skills
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV & internet, & much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily & relocation companies) rely on Updaters real estate products to save clients hours with a branded & personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors), & more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, & ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.