GitHub is hiring a Head of Social Impact, located in San Francisco. We believe that technology has & will continue to have a growing & dramatic impact on addressing the worlds most pressing social issues, from addressing public health crises such as COVID-19 pandemic, mitigating the climate crisis, to addressing gaps in our social safety nets. As the worlds largest platform for open-source code development, GitHub is committed to supporting developers who are leveraging code & technology to solve these issues on our platform today, as well as empowering the nonprofits & social sector organizations that serve the broader community. For more information about our current Social Impact programs, please visit www.socialimpact.github.com.
GitHubs Head of Social Impact will be responsible for scoping, developing, & implementing holistic, multi-year strategies & initiatives focused on GitHubs role in making significant, positive change on the worlds most pressing social challenges. This is done today with two primary initiatives, Tech for Social Good & Hubber Giving. Tech for Social Good leverages GitHubs platform & products, community & people to strengthen the social sectors efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. We do this through conducting research & building guides & tools on open source, community building, skills-based volunteering, GitHub product improvements & event sponsorship. Our Hubber Giving program leverages our employees to lend their time & dollars to support social sector orgs. Our products, our technology, our brand & our people are the most powerful assets we can unleash to strengthen nonprofits & social sector orgs to drive impact in the world.
This role reports to the Chief Legal Officer. In support of GitHubs vision as the home for all developers & mission to accelerate human progress through developer collaboration, this role will:
- Lead, manage & nurture GitHubs Social Impact team
- Scale current & new global social impact initiatives that are aligned with companys mission, social sector needs as well as the values that drive GitHub into multi-year strategies;
- Leverage open source & GitHub technology to drive tech intensity & deeper impact for developers & the global social sector orgs that deploy technology with a social good purpose;
- Activate GitHub global community of employees to give their time, resources, technical skills & expertise to nonprofits & social sector organizations;
- Grow GitHubs leadership presence in the Corporate Social Impact space by working with developers, nonprofits, social sector orgs, governments & other stakeholders in the tech ecosystem & engage in our communities;
- Broadly represent the business with developers, nonprofits, social sector orgs, other tech companies & critical stakeholders across the tech ecosystem;
- Measure & report the success of GitHubs social impact efforts by demonstrating significant contributions to nonprofits & social sector, as well as to the the companys strategic business goals & vision;
- Partner effectively with senior leaders & different functions across GitHub (e.g., DI&B, Sales, Engineering, Communications, ERGs, etc.) to drive deeper impact & create continued buy-in & engagement in social impact programs;
- Advise GitHub senior leadership on significant philanthropic & programmatic investments that balance both business & social impact
- Manage operational excellence of social impact programs & develop strong processes to deliver strong results & ;
- Cohesively communicate our social impact strategy, its alignment with our overall strategy & programs to both internal & external audiences.
The Head of Social Impact will be part of the GitHub CELA (Corporate, External & Legal Affairs) leadership team, responsible for helping to set & drive implementation of the teams objectives & key results & help shape the GitHub culture. Keys capabilities to succeed in this role include:
- Network development & deep community engagement with nonprofits & the wider social sector inclusive of developing public/private partnerships to generate social impact, & growing relationship development, leadership, visibility & reputation growth with key constituents globally, & within our headquarters community.
- Thought leadership & subject matter expertise in corporate social impact, corporate social responsibility & ESG space
- Experience with driving positive change & responsible use of technology, including tech implementation for the social sector
- Experience with developing strategic partnerships & investments
- Strong collaboration & cross-functional experience working within a company
- Experience with developing strong corporate social impact programs, with understanding of impact measurement, strategic communication, strategic analysis
- Served as an advisor to senior company leaders and/or a corporate Board
- Experience with career development & professional coaching of talent, especially for junior team members & organizational management, including goal setting, budgeting, developing, & retaining extraordinary talent, etc.
- Experience at navigating a technical, emerging company environment, especially as a subsidiary of a parent company
Candidates are required to have 10+ years experience as a leader within the Corporate Social Impact and/or Corporate Social Responsibility space, working directly with senior leadership teams on creating & implementing multi-year external, high visibility strategies.
- Validated leader who encourages teams to deliver groundbreaking & unexpected approaches to entrenched social challenges
- Clear understanding of ESG space & implications to investor & other stakeholder relations
- A strong collaborator & passion for technology & how it can impact the human experience
- Dialed in to world & local affairs, digital innovation, & emerging cultural trends, passionate & curious about a wide range of social issues
- Deeply dedicated to positive change, but pragmatic & business savvy
- Adept at navigating a technical, emerging company environment
- Exceptional interpersonal & relationship-building skills
- Connected & adept at building relationships & engaging with communities locally & globally, prefer strong connection with the San Francisco/Silicon Valley community
- Excellence in organizational management, including goal setting, budgeting, developing, & retaining extraordinary talent, etc.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, & to create the worlds most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come togetheras individuals & in teamsto create the future of software & make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, & create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused & creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds & lifestyles. We embrace diversity & invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.