Who we are
At Justworks, youll enjoy a welcoming & casual environment, great benefits, Diversity + Inclusion & wellness program offerings, company retreats, & the ability to interact with & learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard & care about our most prized asset - our people.
Were helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. Were data-informed & never stop iterating. If youd like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful & having fun while doing it, wed love to hear from you.
About the team
The new products team at Justworks is focused on exploring & identifying new opportunities to help further our mission to help entrepreneurs & businesses grow with confidence. Were a small team focused on understanding our customers deeply through prototyping & research. We are believers in the philosophy of quantity over quality & hope in the process we craft a great product & viable business.
What youll do
- Interview potential users to learn about their jobs to be done & uncover problems/opportunities
- Approach problems critically, help refine statements of the problems, & come up with many ideas on how we might solve them
- Strengthen & critique different directions the team can take
- Compose design directions that show breadth in exploring potential solutions
- Build & test prototypes that range in fidelity depending on the question being answered
- Talk to users, learn whats working, what isnt, try & identify where opportunities lie
- Contribute & author our values / culture / behaviors that will help us understand who we want to be & work with
- Work closely with a small team trying to move quickly to figure out what works, together.
Impact of product designers:
- Collaboration - we need folks who can help us understand what is possible, whats reasonable, what will be effective. No one person has all the answers, & together were stronger & more effective than we would be as individuals.
- Constructive dissent - all of us have blind spots & need to have each others backs. One way we achieve this is through constructive dissent. We look for clarity on what our goals & objectives are, take the time to listen & understand one another, especially when we have differing perspectives, & decide what the best course of action is based on everything we know in that moment..
- Be a champion for creativity, lateral thinking, & problem solving grounded in delivering value to our customers.
- Craft product experiences that are designed to have a practical & emotionally resonant impact with our audiences.
Who you are
- Curious & ask lots of questions
- Open to new ideas, experiences, & lifelong learning
- Okay with a high level of ambiguity & missing details
- Or if you need those clarity/detail, youre willing to create clarity & fill in the details
- Someone who takes initiative & ownership of work
- A believer in the growth mindset
- Not precious with your ideas - were looking for whats smart & effective not whos great
- Inquisitive & poke holes in suggestions & ideas, also suggest ways to build on top of ideas
- Brave enough to make decisions with incomplete information
- An excellent visual communicator, & an effective communicator overall (written/verbal communication)
- Comfortable sharing from your experiences & perspective
- Confident in making technical decisions that are best at that given point in time
- Have 4-6 years of experience as a product designer
- Excited by whats described above
Some nice to haves:
- Youve built & launched new products before (side projects count!)
- Experience designing chat bots/conversational UIs
- Skills that are adjacent to product design (user research, front end coding, project management, product discovery, brand design, copywriting, etc.)
If you dont have all of the above, please reach out anyway! Everything above probably isnt necessary & is more of a starting point for a conversation.
Skills were looking for:
- Experience working on product teams where you collaborate with engineers, product managers, & other folks to build great software experiences
- Communication! Not only do you know how to visualize/compose great experiences, but you also know how to present your work to colleagues early & often.
- Process - you know how to do creative work by helping to craft a clear articulation of the problem & objectives, exploring different possibilities, knowing & learning what good looks like, working with the team to ship products, & learn from our experiences to iterate & improve the product & process
- Visualizing product ideas in the tool of your choice (were fans of Figma)
- Compromise/negotiation - the best products are the ones that end up in customers hands. Sometimes this means compromising on our vision - its important to know when to push & when to hold back
- Attention to detail & a high bar for quality - from grids & systems to words & type, you care about the impact of many details in aggregate & how they add up to a cohesive experience
- Zooming out from details, you also understand the relationships between the details, how they come together & interact as components, & understand how to fit those together to deliver value through design. Going out even further, you can see how the new products are just a small part of the whole of our customers experiences as employees & managers
- While were a small team at the moment where youll be the sole designer, were also looking for the ability to teach & mentor folks on how they grow in design. Early on this will be non-designer colleagues, but over time theres potential to help other designers grow through your expertise & experience.
Practical things to know
Were working at Orbital in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, & also occasionally the Justworks HQ at Starrett-Lehigh. This role reports to the Senior Manager, New Products.
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available.
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks vision is for all identities, backgrounds & expressions to be represented in the workplace. We're building the foundation for long-term success & intend to cultivate a safe, collaborative & inclusive space & company culture.
Were proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.