Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
We are seeking a Staff Engineer to help us build & support Mailchimp products. You can expect to set the teams technical direction & bring operation focus to projects that directly impact the future of the department & company.
This role will work on Mailchimps automated design service, which digests a user's brand DNA, & interprets it into automated designs. Brands, like people, have personalities. This roles responsibility will be to create design elements that accurately reflect different design personalities, & help "teach" the design engine how to weave those elements together into beautiful designs that look like the user. Also, this role will be responsible for integrating this automated design service into the Mailchimp application at key points, socializing design & architecture decisions for the service with engineering leadership, & evangelizing the service through the engineering & product organization to drive adoption.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience building & operating large web applications, plus familiarity with current technology trends & patterns. They should also be a skilled communicator & collaborator comfortable working across multiple teams & departments.
What Youll Do:
- Integrate the design engine & brand center with the content manager across the interface & API layer
- Establish patterns that help with consistency & engineer effectiveness
- Architect & implement projects consistent with our philosophy & guidelines
- Ensure developmental focus for companys biggest initiatives
- Understand the operational needs of other departments
- Work collaboratively with devs & engineers to solve complex issues
- Provide technical guidance on large-scale projects that may span multiple engineering teams
- Collaborate with, mentor, & train other engineers
- Remain up-to-date on evolving tools & patterns for managing infrastructure, guiding our implementation of them when necessary
- Serve as a resource to Ops engineering teams to encourage consistency across all efforts
- Work with a distributed team to push projects forward by providing feedback on code & architecture decisions.
Wed love to hear from you if:
- Extensive experience working within large-scale development environments
- Strong communication & collaboration skills
- Experience monitoring, configuring, & provisioning servers & services in environments of that size
- Experience with system-level troubleshooting (understanding logs, strace, netstat, top/htop, iostat, etc.)
- Advanced understanding of Linux
- Extensive experience scaling large web applications with Apache, Nginx, Haproxy, & other tools
- Significant coding experience in Bash, Python, PHP, or other languages that can be demonstrated through a portfolio of code
- Experience with databases, particularly MySQL & PostgreSQL
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kafka, & data pipelines
- Experience with Puppet or other configuration management tools in large environments with many contributors
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- You are interested in helping to make good content & design more accessible to a wide user base
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed.If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.