Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, & brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquares platform includes Attribution, Audience, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Visits. As the industrys first & only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions those that exist today & those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date, building a phones-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
We are building a new team to tackle high impact projects that improve the engineering experience, increase velocity, & deliver novel capabilities for adoption across our engineering organization. Foursquare engineering builds data processing infrastructure to derive insights from billions of location data points every day, & online infrastructure to support hundreds of millions of api calls per day. In this role, you will ship projects with high visibility & of strategic importance to Foursquare. These projects will be diverse in nature & in the technologies & systems they touch, so we're open to a wide variety of skill sets, & will prize aptitude & attitude over experience. We need people who are willing & able to jump into areas that are unfamiliar to them & come quickly up to speed. Collaboration with the teams whose systems & workflows you impact will be critical. Help us build a world class platform that supports all engineering activity at Foursquare.
This role can be either at the Staff Engineer or Senior Staff Engineer level depending on your experience.
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi, Jenkins
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Responsibilities of the role:
- Understand developer pain points & help improve their experience by reducing tech debt, retiring legacy systems, & unifying disparate products, code bases, & infrastructure.
- Design, develop & deliver distributed engineering tools, products, & platforms using multiple languages.
- Help other teams migrate from legacy systems & infrastructure to unified "paved path" systems.
- Own all phases of the software development lifecycle from roadmapping & design to implementation, documentation, & user onboarding.
- Partner across organizational & functional boundaries to understand pain points, identify opportunities for improvement, & help define the team roadmap.
- Work collaboratively & independently as part of a small, focused team.
- 5-20+ years of experience in software development working with production level code.
- Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages we use.
- Comfort with Unix/Linux & the command line.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to discover requirements from stakeholders, & to identify & articulate the benefits of a proposed change.
- Ability to grok & contribute to unfamiliar systems or areas of the stack.
- Good judgment in design & architecture & technical strategy, including ability to translate requirements into a coherent vision that results in intentional design & practical steps to implementation.
- Persistence in the face of challenges, & ability to drive a project to completion.
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience building Platform as a Service architecture, or working in an environment where you've seen this done well.
- Experience working as part of a geographically-distributed team.
Perks & benefits:
- Learning & development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.