Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management & technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 35 buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,000 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised over $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Staff Accountant to join our growing Corporate Accounting team. This is a unique opportunity to help build out the processes & procedures that will ultimately shape the Accounting function at Common. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, extremely knowledgeable in GAAP, & has experience working in accounting at a startup. This role will report to the Corporate Accounting Manager.
- Prepare journal entries of transactions, including recording & reconciling payroll
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts to verify the accurate reporting of transactions
- Prepare & post monthly accrued & prepaid expenses
- Review & post Corporate allocations & department chargebacks
- Manage the addition, disposal, & depreciation of corporate fixed assets
- Maintain ownership over the accounting & reporting for Commons Master Lease properties
- Support the annual financial statement audit by preparing workpapers & providing auditor support
- Work with third party tax preparers to file & pay local, state & federal taxes (including the preparation & filing of Sales & Use Tax & Commercial Rent Tax in NY)
- BS Degree in Accounting
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Comprehensive understanding of GAAP
- Netsuite experience a plus
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress & time management skills
- Possess a strong sense of urgency & ability to meet deadlines
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
- Scrappy & resourceful problem solver
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave & a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.