Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content & systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty & administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools & higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment thats fun, collaborative & innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education & aren't afraid to show it.
Why we need you:
- As our in-house attorney, you will report to our CFO & be the company's guide to all legal matters, in partnership with outside counsel, covering a range of issues from corporate finance & fundraising to employment & HR policies, sales & partnership contracts, data privacy concerns, strategic partnerships & other corporate transactions, among other issues.
- You will help turn ambiguity into scalable processes. You will not be dropped into a role where all processes & systems are already in place. Our expectation is that you will want to shape, own & be proud of the policies & supporting infrastructure youll put in place.
- You will regularly collaborate with business executives & team members from all the business units & functional areas, including sales, product, marketing, engineering, finance & HR, on a broad range of complex legal, business & strategic issues.
- You will embody Schoologys core value of Integrity & help build the right process & structures that encourage thoughtful protection for all of our stakeholders while facilitating fast-paced innovation.
In order to succeed in this position, you will:
- Have a JD & 4-8 years of relevant experience in law firms and/or in-house legal departments, ideally with a technology company.
- Have strong core corporate / transactional experience - drafting, reviewing, negotiating, & advising on a variety of transactions, including software & service agreements.
- Have a good understanding of one or more of the following areas of the law - commercial, intellectual property, FERPA, COPPA, 508 Compliance, global data privacy - combined with a demonstrable track record of quickly learning new areas of law & providing timely, effective, & strategic legal advice in a fast-paced environment.
- Be a great teammate with strong work ethic who is comfortable working in a dynamic environment & with other internal teams like engineers, junior & senior sales representatives, product managers, marketing teams, etc.
- Have the ability to work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment & call out issues when needed.
- Have the flexibility to adapt & thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize & re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business.
- Have excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Have a high level of personal integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, & willingness to grow.
- Be a member of the New York Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as New York Registered In-House Counsel.
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity & Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer & embraces diversity of every kind.