theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimms social media team is made up of scrappy, creative thinkers who are dedicated to expanding our brand presence & engaging with our member base across social media platforms. As the Director of Social Media you will be responsible for bringing theSkimms voice & brand to life across multiple touchpoints in our members daily lives, creating narratives for multiple verticals. Reporting to our VP of Content, this role is creative meets data. You will be responsible for developing social media content that fosters a deep sense of community & grows both brand engagement & revenue. You will manage a small team of associate social media producers & will collaborate closely with theSkimms Video, Editorial, Design, Sales, & Marketing teams.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead & optimize overall social media strategy for official brand accounts
- Direct the creative & editorial operations of all organic & sponsored social media content
- Analyze performance data & innovate & iterate to achieve optimal performance
- Review & approve all social media posts, ensuring alignment with voice, brand, & content tentpoles
- Direct both always on & targeted social media marketing campaigns for timely editorial moments & theSkimms product offerings
- Administer all third-party & internal social media tools & content management systems
- Manage two Associate Social Media Producers
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 6-8 years of social media experience
- A strong understanding of theSkimms brand & voice & ability to communicate its message with consistency
- Experience leading strategy & execution for a news & information, consumer, and/or emerging brand
- Proven track record of using social media content to increase audience engagement, build brand equity, & drive revenue
- Superior journalistic judgement, research, & fact-checking expertise
- Experience executing on branded content
- You are a strong manager who can uphold an environment of learning, growth, & mentorship within a growing team
- You subscribe to a player/coach mentality & can think big picture while still getting your hands dirty
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Art direction experience in graphic design, illustration, videography, and/or photography
- Pre-sale experience in branded content
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practice
- Passion for news & current events
- You are a Skimmbassador, or have a long history with theSkimm as a consumer
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning & fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals & drinks during our weekly "Sipn Skimm" all-hands meeting & monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY