About the Role
As a Senior Computational Biologist dedicated to Epigenetic Modeling at Freenome, you will be responsible for developing state of the art machine learning models of methylation data for early, noninvasive tests for cancer detection. You will use a strong statistical & functional genomics foundation to develop best-in class models of epigenetic signatures of cancer. You will work closely with machine learning scientists, molecular biologists, engineers, & other computational biologists to drive the iteration of epigenetic models while ultimately developing products which can be used in the clinic.
How youll contribute:
- Evaluate, develop, & improve machine learning models of epigenetic signatures of cancer, as well other diseases such as autoimmune disease & infection.
- Leverage existing & apply novel methods for functional genomic interpretation.
- Develop novel statistical models to leverage best in class molecular assays such as whole genome sequencing & whole genome bisulfite sequencing.
- Overcome analytical challenges inherent in the study of cell-free circulating nucleic acids & proteins.
- Work closely with molecular biologists to collaboratively iterate on experiments in the wet lab, as well as with computational biologists & machine learning scientists to optimize & improve algorithms.
What youll bring:
- PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant, quantitative field such as computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics, computer science, or equivalent.
- 3+ years post-PhD experience in applying computational biology for biological discovery & product development.
- Expertise in developing & applying both classical statistical & machine learning algorithms, such as Bayesian modeling, Hidden Markov Models, regression, SVMs, tree ensembles, etc. & using relevant libraries (Scikit Learn, XGBoost) and/or deep learning frameworks (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras).
- Experience in the analysis & interpretation of chromatin accessibility technologies in genomics (e.g., ATAC-seq, DNAse-seq, MNase-seq).
- Experience in the analysis & interpretation of methylation-based technologies in genomics (e.g., bisulfite sequencing).
- Background in molecular biology, cancer biology, & regulation of molecular processes, with experience leveraging this knowledge for problems in cancer computational biology & diagnostics.
- Strong computational & programming skills, including thorough experience with Python statistical packages (Numpy, Matplotlib, Pandas). Equivalents in other languages like R or C/C++ are also suitable.
- Familiarity working in a Linux server-based environment.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills to communicate to both scientific & broader audiences.
- Ability to work on a cross-functional team in our highly collaborative environment, working with both computational & experimental scientists.
- Expertise with biological & genomic data, tools, & public databases (e.g. ENCODE, TCGA, Blueprint, Cosmic).
Nice to haves:
- Industry experience applying computational biology to biological discovery & product development.
- Experience in a collaborative software engineering environment, including the use of automated testing, version control, & deployment systems to reproduce & accelerate research.
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, & ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology & machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple & accurate blood tests for early cancer detection & integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care & science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds & accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Societys BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis & Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, & immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods & applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, & 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets & modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, & aging. The synthesis of Freenomes datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, & audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection & early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, & passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems & ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, & trust in one another, & we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues & those we serve. We assume positive intent & give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering & supporting each other in a collaborative & dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, & execute their own goals with ownership & alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, & holding themselves & their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study & believe that hiring & mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome & provide constructive feedback & criticism, trusting in others good intentions, & being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn & grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, & want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, theres no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.