Care/of (takecareof.com) is a fast-growing, venture-backed wellness startup. We make it easier & more enjoyable to shop for vitamins (and maybe even a little fun, too). Our technology makes it possible for people to get custom vitamin recommendations based on their diets & health goals, which we deliver in convenient daily packs with a touch of joy. We aim to help people feel empowered to make the right choices for their health by being transparent about the research backing up our recommendations & the quality of our products. Care/of launched in 2016 & is based in New York City. (And we're excited to meet you.)
What you'll do:
The Head of Quality is responsible for leading, implementing & maintaining all quality systems for a high growth DTC dietary supplement startup to meet regulatory requirements & customer expectations. This includes defining & communicating a 3-5 year quality vision across quality teams, executive leadership, internal packaging teams & other internal departmental teams, co-manufacture & raw material suppliers, warehouse & other external partners & ensuring quality programs are in alignment with company mission & vision. This role is action-oriented, requires managing significant complexity & flexibility required with adapting to the needs of a fast growing company at each size & stage of the business.
- Responsible for creation & monitoring of end-to-end Quality Assurance & Quality Control systems though raw materials, suppliers, bulk product, finished goods packaging, distribution, & consumer experience & revising as needed to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Liaise with Executive Leadership, R&D, Operations, Supply Chain & Finance to meet business needs
- Work collaboratively with call center, external partners & supply chain to effectively communicate quality issues & achieve resolution
- Collaborate with & influence external partners (contract manufacturing partners, raw materials suppliers, analytical labs, etc.)
- Write SOPs to meet regulatory requirements & maintain the current library
- Conduct root cause analysis & build effective CAPAs
- Act as primary liaison to outside Regulatory agencies, i.e. US FDA, State Department of Agriculture & other agencies as required for the business.
- Serve as primary liaison for 3rd party customer audits
- Define specifications for a) test parameters, b) accepted criteria/values & c) scientifically valid analytical procedures for accelerated & longterm stability testing
- Create world class testing strategy for transparency to end consumer
- Build, maintain, & manage high performance quality control teams, as well relationships with external quality partners.
- Ensure roles at all levels are filled with values aligned performers, & that coverage during any interim (recruiting) periods is sufficient to meet the needs of the business
- Foster a culture that sees quality as a #1 priority & every quality team member as a 10
- Provide leadership to team through effective & clear objective setting, delegation, & communication
- Hold quality team accountable to measurable performance objectives for meeting quality goals. Use data & reporting to quantity & clearly express what success looks like
- Promote a team culture that fosters cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, & trust, encouraging healthy conflict to get to the right outcome for the overall quality mission
Who you are:
- B.S. in Chemistry, Nutrition, Food Science preferred
- ASQ CQA Certification preferred
- Experience with Dietary Supplements (CFR 110, 111, FSMA)
- Minimum of 5-8 years in the food, dietary supplement or nutraceutical business
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing teams
- Strong digital aptitude with web-based programs, video conferencing etc.
- Startup experience highly desired
- Nimble & thoughtful approach to business needs
- Excellent communication skills, highly collaborative
- Strategic & futuristic thinking
- Positive, solution oriented approach