**We are New York City based, but this role can be remote anywhere in the United States.
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the first UX Writer to join the Codecademy team you will play a pivotal role in elevating our existing writing within the product & driving human-centered approaches to the interaction design of language. Through close collaboration with cross-functional teams you will develop communicative standards & processes crucial in the next wave of innovation in our suite of products.
You will take the lead on the communication aspects of our most impactful efforts while also working with others to drive best practices & enable effective communication & writing throughout our learning journey.
The successful candidate will have a history of designing effective interactions through language, exceptional communication skills, & demonstrated success in collaboration with cross-functional teams as well as working as an independent specialist for our most important efforts. We are looking for someone who can balance rigor, velocity, & creative methods to shape the future of learning for millions of people, helping to create tangible economic return for our students.
This role reports to the Head of Design.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Work with cross-functional teams of designers, product managers, engineers, marketers & data scientists
- Establish the cornerstone of UX Writing best practices at Codecademy
- Set reusable copy patterns to accompany our design system, Gamut, & be used modularly in the design of our product
- Embed yourself in the product development process across squads & improve our interaction design through your writing expertise
- Develop a writing workflow alongside our established design process for effective management of or UX Writing needs
- Advocate for evidence-driven solutions for use of language in our product
- Test copy independently & as a contributor to experiments to bring more efficacy to our use of language
WHAT YOULL NEED:
- 3+ years experience throughout the product development process, advocating for the role of copywriting in the development of an effective design
- Ability to balance a brand tone of voice with the usability required for effective interaction design
- Demonstrated history of contributing to the testing & measuring copy to ensure efficacy of copy across user journeys
- A portfolio that demonstrates rigorous use of a style guide & contributions to the improvement of that guide
- A history of collaborating with designers to improve the user journey in some instances & providing best practices & patterns to enable designers to be self-sufficient as well
- Your approach to writing is inherently human-centered
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
- Experience with subscription and/or ed tech products
- Previous experience in Content Strategy of Information Architecture-related functions
- UX Writing with an eye toward localization
- Passion for learning to code & self-taught skills
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.