We started Birchbox in 2010 to redefine the way consumers discover & shop for beauty & grooming. The company quickly grew from an exciting idea to a business that has materially shaped the beauty industry: we've activated an enormous group of underserved, untapped consumers, awakening their relationship with beauty by making the experience relevant, easy & fun. Our innovation isn't the simple concept of delivering a box of samples - it's understanding that although not everyone is passionate about beauty & grooming, everyone still deserves to have a great experience finding, trying & buying it.
Birchbox operates in six countries, reaching more than 2.5 million active customers with a portfolio of 500 best-in-class prestige brand partners. We have retail locations within select Walgreens stores across the US as well as a flagship Birchbox store in Paris.
About the role:
As the Content strategist you have a natural ability to understand business goals & user needs, then help plan, develop & execute content strategies that bring the two together.
You will be creating compelling stories & narratives; helping plan, curate & manage content to be leveraged across multiple platforms within the Birchbox experience - including social media, email, video, print & more!
For you, diversity isnt just a buzzword or challenge, but rather an opportunity & school of thought you use to drive creativity, collaboration, & innovation in all that you do. You find & appreciate diversity across multiple dimensions, helping the team bring something different & unique to every brief.
This role reports to the Director of Content + Community as part of the Content & Community Team (Birchbox Experience Group).
Planning & content development
- Lead cross-functional strategic content planning that incorporates insights from the digital landscape (external & internal), customer insights, & social data into impactful, integrated proposals. You will holistically own the content calendar across all touchpoints for beauty & grooming
- Develop & forward-plan compelling content (images, words & video assets) optimised for our key channels & manage those projects end to end with the production studio, project management & content teams
- Collaborate with the Managing Beauty + Grooming Editor to concept beauty education videos, shepherding them from the ideation & concept stage through production & post-production
Manage a team to deliver on day-to-day content & social calendars
People & relationship management
- Foster a strong & productive working relationship with Creative & studio production to actualize the content calendar
- Partner closely with the product team to deliver a delightful experience to our customers
- Maintain active relationships with marketing & merchandising, to proactively incorporate strategic imperatives & maximize opportunities for engagement, customer acquisition or conversion
Manage, mentor & help develop junior-level team members
Strategy & insights
- Report & interpret site & social analytics to inform future content-making decisions or optimizations
- Help facilitate strategy discussions, brainstorms, & creative development sessions, bringing insights that inspire & fuel creativity
- Support the wider marketing function as a consultant on campaigns & materials
- Keep abreast of industry trends & regularly present fresh, proactive ideas to the team
- Generally maintain an awareness of the social zeitgeist to ensure we remain relevant in the larger conversation
- Develop & document case studies of past work that showcase successes & summarize learnings
- 7+ years of experience in professional strategy, marketing or content roles
- Creative thinker & self starter who can brainstorm innovative ideas/strategies
- Deep passion for storytelling
- Strong organisation & project management skills
- Hands-on experience & deep understanding of content marketing across multiple channels- including Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc.), Email, SEO, & Online
- Strong communication skills- writing, speaking & working cross-functionally in a matrixed environment
- Experience in the beauty & grooming industry a strong advantage
- Experience with people management & development
- A plus if comfortable on camera