Refinery29 is the leading digital media & entertainment company focused on millennial minded women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our missionfrom the very beginningis to be a catalyst for women to see, feel, & claim their power, by providing diverse & ambitious storytelling as well as radically relevant points of view. We deliver style & substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices & destinations, from the original video & editorial features, to live experiences & social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information & to browse content.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles & programs to service & slideshows. We're composed of six categories Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, & Beauty & we help shape & guide how Refinery29 & its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, & discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment & passion for the mission of R29 to motivate & inspire women through their own unique power, identity, & infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in womens storytelling & reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform & drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility & solutions in even the most challenging moments, & you have an innate desire to strive for excellence & progress, through your daily work & your attitude.
About the job:
Were seeking a funny, creative & thought-provoking writer to recreate our sex & relationships beat. This person will be as comfortable writing about oral sex as they are about covering the #MeToo movement & the politics of sex. You should be unapologetically sex positive, endlessly imaginative, & able to handle simple how to articles, as well as tougher topics surrounding gender roles, gender identity & sexism.
If youre the friend who everyone comes to for advice on how to physically execute the latest sex move & the friend who everyone comes to for how to navigate the messy realities of consent, workplace romances & tough familial relationships this is the job for you.
What you'll do:
- Write 2-3 stories per day
- Follow sex, sexual health & the politics of sex news relentlessly, especially as these topics apply to sex & romantic lives of millennial women
- Pitch to the news cycle as needed
- Work with SEO team to optimize content
- Problem solve in a fast-paced media environment
- Have & build networks that enable you to report & become an expert on your beat
- Work closely with Health & Wellness director & senior editor to grow the section
- Write second-day opinion pieces on trending news
What you have:
- An obsession with helping women navigate the sex & relationships space
- 2-4 years in a relevant position or field
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Superior judgment & discretion
- Organized & ability to work on daily deadlines
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries & be a thought leader
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered for the role.