ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire a Junior Writer for its editorial team. theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds, & we understand how to write high quality journalism in theSkimms distinct voice. We're looking for a news junkie who will work closely with the Daily Skimm team to research, write, fact-check, & build the Daily Skimm newsletter. Candidates must be comfortable with a non traditional schedule.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Write & update the Daily Skimm newsletter for the latest breaking news before it publishes
- Build the Daily Skimm article on theSkimm.com & other platforms
- Write news articles & large-scale campaigns for theSkimm.com
- Work on special projects and/or long-form content, including researching, writing, editing, fact-checking, & publishing
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 2-3 years of traditional or digital newsroom experience
- Experience working in a breaking news environment
- Excellent writing & editorial judgment
- Experience with research & fact-checking
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission, & the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter & a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
Please attach your resume & a cover letter. We're looking for voice, wit, & humor, so to the extent that you can, please write your cover letter in the style of a Daily Skimm newsletter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY