Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where & Why
The Twilio A.I. team is seeking a (Sr) Product Director to own the product management & strategy for Twilio's A.I. product lines. The person in this role will be critical in delivering a product which enables our customers to understand the meaning of every customer interaction they have, & drive automation flows based on the content of what their customers are saying.
Reporting to the VP GM A.I., you will lead and grow a team of product managers who are building an industry-leading platform to transcribe, categorize & extract meaning from conversational data. You will be responsible for every aspect of product management for the team from the underlying data, to the machine learning, to the user interfaces. You will be taking this product from inception to scale. You will be responsible for establishing & managing relationships with F500 design partners, as well as representing the voice of the customer & product in C-level leadership strategy conversations.
- You are first & foremost a people person who has the ability to attract & motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble, & have a high EQ.
- You understand that product differentiation must be built into the heart of product strategy. You enjoy creating things where there is no playbook to look at, no prior art to copy.
- You build product by thinking strategically for the long term, set the vision for where we want to get to, & then map the path to get there
- You have experience managing product managers for 4-5 years, ideally on a technically complex B2B or B2D cloud product. You have experience managing a remote & diverse international team, & collaborating with engineering across multiple time zones.
- You are a great communicator. Whether it's on stage to inspire people in your vision, in a meeting with C-level customer execs, or in writing explaining strategy & technical details. You understand the power of great communication, & strive to always be improving at it. You also use those skills to be a connector - you have a knack for connecting people & building bridges across different teams & locations.
- You have experience working with a top tier engineering team, & understand how to feed in customer-informed guidance & prioritization while leaving space & autonomy on the 'how'.
- You are strong technically & can converse credibly with talented engineers. Ideally you have hands-on experience shipping customer-facing apps with heavy ML & data components. However we will consider applicants without direct experience in ML but who are very strong technically, if you are outstanding in other areas.
- You build process where it's needed. You know how to cut through bureaucracy when it's inefficient, but also how to create structure when it's needed.
- Youre able to distill complex & ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team, & are highly organized..
- Bonus: You have a CS background & an MBA. You have experience with contact center industry.
- DONT SETTLE: Keep your product managers connected with other product teams across the company for multiple strategic initiatives. Provide support & guidance that enables the team to self-organize & to predictably deliver customer value. Foster a culture that encourages individual decision-making & innovation. Inclusive communication will also be critical to maintaining alignment & our culture across our global locations.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES: Collaborate on roadmaps with product & engineering leaders across San Francisco, Colombia, Prague, Denver, Madrid, & London to ensure the team has clear direction (the why!) & priorities rooted in customer data.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Inspire your teams & manage their career development by providing coaching & mentoring to junior members while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives & provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting & motivating top talent.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Be hands-on with the team - both product & engineering. You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in cloud-based infrastructure design & operations to recognize the important decisions your team faces & give meaningful advice, based on customer use cases.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Institute product management best practices - ensure the team produces high quality customer research, understands & communicates the problem, & documents the solution (UX, APIs docs, blueprints) & GTM strategy (including pricing).
- BE AN OWNER: Foster leadership principles & behaviors throughout the organization to build up the next generation of leaders.
- Travel required - up to 25% of the time post-COVID
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the worlds communications. Customer conversations are one of the most informative indicators of a product & business health. They cover every time a customer was delighted, frustrated, buying more, closing their account, needing help, etc. But usually those conversations are trapped away in a black box, analyzed only by listening to them one by one, or with basic keyword search capabilities.
The Twilio AI team is building a platform that uses machine learning to transcribe, categorise, & extract meaning out of customer conversations so companies can evaluate every one of them & build workflows that automate actions, like prioritizing high value leads to follow up on or identifying customers likely to churn. Our goal is to help companies power more effective business processes & better customer engagement, by understanding the meaning in every conversation.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We are a team that believes in remote working & remote-friendly practices, & we are distributed across three continents. This position can be located in either the US or EU, either remote or (post-COVID) in one of Twilio's offices . What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work & home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl & not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.