Faire is using Machine Learning to change wholesale & help local retailers compete with Amazon & the big box stores.
We're backed by the top VCs in the world (Sequoia, Khosla), we're lead by an experienced team (Square, Google), & we're building a world-class engineering culture of freedom & responsibility.
Our engineering team owns the code that makes our marketplace work. We care about good engineering practice & love to write software that is secure, tested, easy to maintain, & can scale to millions of users. We build minimum viable products, deploy to production multiple times per day, A/B test customer-facing changes, listen to the data, & iterate.
As a Sr Back-end Engineer, you'll collaborate with us to:
- deliver core features of our Kotlin/Java 8 server
- design & build new APIs used by our web site & mobile app
- write integration tests for everything
- share ownership of our product
- help the product team continuously improve our customer's experience
We're excited about you because you have...
- A passion for programming & solving problems with code
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- A love for technology, & an insatiable curiosity for new tools to tackle real problems
Bonus/Nice to haves:
- Production experience with a scalable Java or C# backend (an ecommerce or online games server would be ideal)
- Experience with unit/integration tests (we have a focus on test automation)
Technologies we use & teach:
- Kotlin, Java 8
- JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, & Protocol Buffers
You're excited about us because we offer...
- A small team, a relaxed & fun startup, extraordinary engineering talent, mentorship, & career growth
- Competitive compensation + Equity ($70k-$150k depending on experience & ability)
- Perks & benefits (full extended health & dental plan for you & your family, gym membership, free lunches, drinks, snacks, beer & pretzel game nights, & more!)
- Were growing fast. You will get in as a founding member of something thats going to change an entire industry.
- Learn from the best. Our leadership team is experienced (eg., Google) & led the development of one of the top 15 apps in the US appstore (Square Cash).
- Great technology stack -- Kotlin, no legacy.
- The business makes sense. Its straightforward, provides clear value to both store owners & to makers. You get to help change an industry for the better.
- Its beautiful. Work on something thats well-designed, following the footsteps of Square.
Note: Were an on-site team in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. We cant do remote, but we can provide relocation & help with visas if needed.
Are you ready to change an industry? Excited to enter as a founding member of a dynamic, high-growth startup in a wide open market?
There are over 1M independent retailers in the US & Canada, doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart & Amazon combined. Economic data shows: compared to the big box stores, local retailers are flourishing because they offer a better shopping experience. However, the antiquated wholesale industry is holding independent stores back, & making life miserable for the makers trying to reach them.
Our goal at Faire is to rethink the wholesale model with an online marketplace that makes it easy for retailers & makers to connect & succeed together. Instead of flying all over the country to attend trade shows, retailers can visit our site to shop for hundreds of curated makers that they can try out totally risk-free. This revolutionary offering has drawn over 20,000 retailers to the Fair platform in less than a year after our launch.
Our founders led product & engineering for Square Capital ($10B deployed) & the Cash app (Squares only app in the top 20 of the iOS app store). We're backed by some of the top VC funds including Sequoia, Khosla, & Forerunner, & we were named one of the top 8 companies at our Y-Combinator Demo Day last year.
We are looking for smart, resourceful & passionate people to join this movement with us.To learn more about our culture, please visit our careers page!