Common is the nations leading residential brand & operating platform that designs, leases, & manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design & tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, & traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. With over 17,500 units signed & under development & over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is hiring a talented Construction Project Manager to manage the construction process of our new homes in close coordination with our developer partners. From upholding Commons interests in time & quality, to procuring & managing our directly sourced vendors, this role will be responsible for delivering on our quickly expanding pipeline. Commons development partners are responsible for the majority of the general construction of our homes. It will be your job to ensure our partners have a strong understanding of our Brand Standards, with a focus on technical & functional standards for MEP systems. Youll also manage Commons WiFi, Access Control & CCTV strategy across the portfolio.
In addition to project management skills, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a technical background such as engineering experience or work relating to MEP systems. As the Construction Project Manager, you will report directly to the Director of Construction & Procurement.
- Track project schedules & progress milestones in conjunction with development partners
- Uphold Commons Technical Brand Standards & quality expectations through site inspections & best practice documentation
- Improve Commons inspection & testing procedures to drive better outcomes for homes handed to the operations team
- Manage communication & project tasks between the developer, Commons subcontractors & Common internal teams to ensure a successful home opening
- Create project specific scopes & schematic layouts for access control, WiFi & camera systems
- Contract management of Commons directly engaged subcontractors, including but not limited to WiFi, Camera, Access Control & Window Furnishings subcontractors
- Coordinate technical details & timing requirements between Commons subcontractors & the development partner or on site General Contractor
- Manage project budgets & assess progress claims for Commons subcontractors
- This role includes travel to new home locations around the country. Travel is typically 2-3 days at a time & occurs approximately every 5-6 weeks
- 4+ years Construction Project Management Experience either as a client or General Contractor
- Engineering or technical background working with MEP systems preferred
- Experience within the Residential, Hospitality or Retail sectors is preferred
- Experience with Construction Quality Control
- Experience with Project Scheduling
- Demonstrate experience managing trade works for the full life cycle of tendering, procurement & payment
- Experience negotiating vendor contracts, compiling contracts, & ensuring that vendor work remains within budget
- A keen love of organization & prioritization, working across several projects at a time
- Demonstrate an attention to detail on complex tasks
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation & sick time
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, & ordinances.