Braze (formerly Appboy) is a customer engagement platform that delivers messaging experiences across push, email, apps, & more. Braze is built specifically for todays mobile-first world & tomorrows ambient computing future. Braze is set apart as the platform that allows for real-time & continuous data streaming, replacing decades-old databases that arent built for todays on-demand, always-connected customer. With data, technology, & teams working together in unison, the Braze platform makes marketing more authentic, brands more human, & customers more satisfied with every experience.
Each month, tens of billions of messages associated with over 1.5 billion active users are managed through our technology. Braze is a venture-backed company with hundreds of employees in offices located in New York City, San Francisco, London, & Singapore. Most recently, weve been named a Leader in the Forrester Wave: Mobile Engagement Automation, Q3 2017 evaluation. Weve been recognized by Forbes Cloud 100 at #85, ranked #225 on's 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies, named a Top 10 Upstart by Business Insider, in addition to being #21 in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 List. Learn more at Braze.com.
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
More than 600 global consumer brands rely on Brazes infrastructure for their own product experience. Were looking for a Director of Site Reliability Engineering to manage, scale, & improve Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Braze. Strong communication skills are a must, as this role partners directly with senior managers & executives working on product engineering & infrastructure operations.
The mission of the SRE team is to increase confidence in changes to the Braze production environment, with a focus on performance & uptime for each service (internal & external) at Braze. The team is responsible for continuous improvement to service level objectives & for providing guidance, expertise, mentorship & education to the entire Engineering organization on how to build, test, monitor & deploy massively scalable applications.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Define, report on, & drive improvements toward service level objectives
- Hire, manage performance & establish career path opportunities for a global team of engineers working on massively scaled systems (1.5+ billion monthly active users)
- Create quarterly objectives & key results to increase uptime & system performance
- Partner effectively with product engineering & infrastructure teams to help achieve each groups key quarterly business objectives
- Enact continuous improvement through incident root cause analysis
- Foster a culture of modern engineering operational practices, reliability, & velocity
- Define & enable standards for configuration, monitoring, reliability, & performance
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent, in a technical field such as computer science or information systems
- Results-oriented with a track record of at least 8 years of building & managing engineering & operations groups, preferably teams that are globally distributed
- Proven ability to operate large-scale distributed systems to high availability targets
- Strong familiarity with containers & container-orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, etc.)
- Experience using automation (Chef, Puppet, etc.) to make services more sustainable
- Capable of discussing in depth topics such as networking, infrastructure, debugging & optimizing code (Java, Python, Go or Ruby)
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills, & empathy for customers
WHAT WE OFFER
Complete tech startup vibe including free daily lunches & snacks, group events & top of the line computer setup! A general feeling throughout the office that what you do matters everyday.
Collaboration! Complete support of your teammates across all departments & a real get it done attitude for our customers.
- Excellent medical insurance & life assurance coverage for you & your dependents
- Matching 401K
- Daily catered lunches, snacks & beverages
- Collaborative, transparent, collegial & fun loving office culture
- Flexible time off policy to balance your work & life in the way that suits you best
In addition, this position is exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.