Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, its crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack & improving each other.
Team members personal & professional development is a priority for us. We have a solid track record of growing team members into more senior responsibilities in analytics, as well as preparing them for diverse roles across product, data science, & marketing.
About the Role
Do you want to reinvent how a large piece of the local economy works? If so, we're looking for a Product Analyst on our Matching product development team. Matching is responsible for optimally matching customers & pros through search, ranking, & other mechanics. It is one of the most analytical teams at Thumbtack, owning one of our most complex problem spaces, & it is at the core of our company mission to connect great customers with great pros.
As a Product Analyst on Matching, you will help optimize our ranking machine learning algorithms, build an engaging search experience, define new matching mechanics, & balance supply & demand to grow our marketplace. You will embed directly with Matching -- a group of highly collaborative, engaged, & analytical Engineers, Data Scientists, & other cross-functional partners.
- Influence product strategy by proposing & executing on analytical research on matching, search, & ranking
- Improve our search & ranking algorithms through feature exploration, response variable definition, & testing, in collaboration with Data Science & Engineering
- Design & analyze A/B tests, market-based tests, etc. & conduct other forms of causal inference, to help us rigorously learn about our millions of users
- Design new features & inform the product roadmap through analysis, e.g., help define matching mechanics & ranking behavior for new Thumbtack product lines
- Define & analyze key metrics to inform decision-making & measure success
- Contribute to our team & company data culture through accessible data table design & maintenance
- Collaborate with, mentor, & help recruit team members
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of analytics/data science experience
- Passion for problem-solving, critical thinking, & data
- Sharp business judgement & the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener, & compelling explainer
- Proficient in one of Python, R, or Stata
- Expert in SQL
- Familiarity with basic statistical, machine learning, & econometric concepts, e.g., power analysis, linear regression, etc.
- Experience in relevant tech companies, e.g., consumer-facing or marketplace
- Experience in an analytical environment outside of analytics, e.g., management consulting
- Bachelors or advanced degree in statistics, math, or economics
- Familiarity with advanced statistical, machine learning, & econometric concepts, e.g., fixed effects models, decision trees, SVMs, etc.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.