Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating simple, yet scalable experiences for our customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer within Developer Experience you will think about how to present complex developer workflows & deployment processes as simple, elegant, & configurable solutions for our customers. Working alongside of Product & Design teams, & reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will decide how to build software that gets the most out of our products & services, & helps developers deploy, manage, & scale apps on DigitalOcean. You will also work within the broader engineering organization to improve efficiency & performance of internal systems, so that we can support our growing customer base.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Developing software written primarily in Go, & sometimes Ruby.
- Working with containerized applications in Docker, & deploying within a CI/CD environment like GoCD & Concourse.
- Creating & processing large amounts of data stored in, or streamed through, MySQL, Redis, & Kafka.
- Using tools like Kibana & Grafana to monitor, alert & troubleshoot internal production performance issues.
- Consuming & integrating with 3rd party APIs (DigitalOcean public APIs, Kubernetes, logging & analytics services, etc).
- Actively participating in the product development process, quickly understanding how our services contribute to customer value, & gradually forming opinions on how to make those services better with minimal technical supervision.
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience working in a role where you had to balance solving software performance & scaling challenges with creating customer value.
- Willingness to understand the architecture of multiple systems, & being able to make updates to them independently.
- Have the ability to lead projects from start to finish, working cross functionally to gather requirements, plan work, & helping to steer development until launch.
- Experience with consuming & processing messages from Kafka or similar service.
- Proficiency with writing efficient queries in MySQL.
- Experience building APIs for external consumption.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, & CI/CD pipelines like GoCD or Concourse a plus.
- An understanding of microservice architecture & inter-service communication with protocols like gRPC & Protocol Buffers a plus.
- A strong appreciation for rich UI experiences, & particularly the flexibility to adapt APIs & backend services to accommodate such experiences.
- A passion for creating developer tools & meaningful developer workflows.
- This role will be expected to participate in an on-call rotation
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!